1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Dodge Quad 4x4

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dss56, Dec 27, 2010.

1. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I have a Dodge 2004 Quad 4x4. 1500.
    I was out plowing the big storm and noticed that my 4x4 works but no light on the dash to let me know I'm in 4X4. Am I wrong or right there is an idiot light on the dash that is suppose to light to let you know you are in 4 wheel drive?

DSCN1223-1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

Look in your owners manual to see where on the dash it is. Probably burnt out and a PITA to change.

3. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Should be under the tach and yes there should be a light and orange "4x4" light.

4. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I'm wondering if there is some switch on the 4x4 actuator on the front axle that would light the light on the dash. I thought I read this some where on one of the Dodge forums but can't seem to find it.

5. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

That I am not sure of, haven't had that problem yet. Let us know what you find out.
    Try some Dodge Forums.

6. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Update

I went out this morning with the truck. I started it up and the 4x4 lite is on and now is working when I go from 2 wheel to 4 wheel. I will have to check on the switch on the axle when the warm weather comes too cold to look now. As long as the 4 wheel is working I'm fine.

the 2004 do not have a straight axle independent would it be in the same side as you mentioned

7. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I thought the gauges were the same, maybe not. Check the owner's manual as mentioned above.

8. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

There is a light to under your odometer. To see if it works follow there steps. Sit in truck with doors closed. Put key in ignition leaving it in off position. Press and hold odometer/trip reset button, while still holding turn key to run position. This will enter test mode. All dash lights will illuminate and gauges will do a self check. If the light comes on this way you know there is a bad switch.

Hope this helps

9. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

The light is working got in the truck yesterday and started to work so I'm sure its the switch on the transfer case. Thanks for the info on the test mode for all lights on the dash.

10. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

1-05-11

Thursday got in the truck and no 4x4 light. I did the Press and hold odometer/trip reset button, while still holding turn key to run position. This will enter test mode. All dash lights will illuminate and gauges will do a self check. and no 4x4 light is lit. Has anyone ever changed one of these lights on the dash. And if so where can the bulb/light be bought?

11. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I changed the dash lights just last week, you get them at the dealer and its pretty straight forward since they are changeable. The 4X4 light sounds like a PITA, my guess is you have to open the cluster. Since the light comes on and off intermittent I would check wiring first.

12. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I'm thinking it might be a soldered in bulb on the cluster was your light replacement twist in and what bulb did you replace. What year truck do you have?

I was just under the truck about 1/2 hour ago and all the wiring looked good plugs looked good. I moved the plugs on the transfer case and shot some oil on them to see if there is any corrosion. I guess its a minor thing since the 4x4 works. Looks like a spring time job to remove the cluster and see if it can be replaced.

thanks

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  13. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Mine is a 2007 3500 and I replaced all the gage lights, they are twist lock bulbs.
    Fuel gage was burned out. Pretty sure it involves soldering

14. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I was just on a forum that showed the lights that we use in the dodges. Some people change the colors so the dash will light a different color. These twist in are just to illuminate the dash but I'm trying to search to see what it would take to get to the 4x4 light and what type of bulb is it.

thanks for the replies

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  15. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I was just watching a video on You tube.

I did see the person do the test of the gauges and did not see his 4x4 light light up. If someone has a 2004-2005 1500 4x4 can you please do the check gauges for me an see if the 4x4 light is suppose to light up. Just hold in the odometer button and turn the key on. Your gauges will do a check and all light will light up. Under the tach will be the 4x4 light you can see the lettering even if not lit up.
    Can you please see if this lights up in your truck.
    This will let me know if it suppose to light up in the check test mode and eliminate me taking the dash apart.
    I then can focus on the switch on the transfer case.

thanks for any help

16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes my 2004 has a 4x4 light on the guage lettig me know its in 4wd. It also will say SERV4x4 if something is wrong.

17. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I know it has a light what I need is someone do the test mode for the gauges and lights and see if the 4x4 light -lights up during this test mode. I don't know if it is suppose to light up in the test mode. This will help me determine if it does in someone's 2004 then the bulb is bad. If it does not light up in the test mode but does light up when in 4x4 mode then I must have a bad switch. Just trying to eliminate taking the dash apart and finding the bulb is not the problem.

thanks for the help

18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Its not a bulb, its a digital readout just like the odometer. The wiring by the transer case is known to rub against the front driveshaft possibly grounding out. This can cause your 4x4 switch to not work or possibly the light.

Dodge used the same gauge cluster from 2002-2008 (2009 2500/3500).

19. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

Here are the pics from when I tested mine. the 4X4 light does not come on. It only illuminates when I shift into 4WD.

gauges 001.jpg

20. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

04ram1500

thank you very much for doing that.
    I am now positive its the switch on the transfer case. Save's me from taking the dash apart.

thanks again