1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Dodge QC 4x4 1500 with fisher 7.5

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dss56, Feb 16, 2010.

1. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I have a fisher 7.5 on my 2004 QC 4x4 works good but I noticed plowing tonight that I heard a chime from the dash and it said check gauges not check engine light. I looked and the battery gauge was way down Like not charging the battery. I lowered the heater blower and put in park and stepped on the gas and the needle came back to 14v charging. The lights did not go dim when this happened and it happened twice tonight. When I got going driving it seemed fine just when I was doing driveways. Would this mean a new battery or a heavy duty alternator? Has this happened to anyone out there? Thought it was the low on gas chime but check gauges alarm. I think this is happening only with the plow on. I have all LED strobes and marker light that do not draw much amps.

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Happens 2-3 times a night for me.......I have just gotten used to it.
  3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

mine did this a couple of times about a month ago while plowing I took the Alt to a re builder they tested it turns out the diode was bad changed the alternator and it does not happen anymore

I am also gonna change my batteries once I get my checks in from the last storm
  4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Has happened to me on my 03 Ram 2500 a couple times in one of my smaller drives...when going back and forth, up and down, side to side a lot. I have a new battery and the alternator is charging at 14.5 volts so I haven't done anything about it. There is a real good auto electric shop nearby and I will see if he can beef up the alternator this summer for me. Also going to have the dealer double check the plow pressures and amp draw on the motor as the plow is under warranty.
    I'm convinced it shouldn't be happening regardless, but with only 3 drives to worry about I'll just drive it for the rest of this dismal winter........
  5. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Check the battery terminals to make sure they are clean, I know when I left my lights on my 02, same model, everytime I moved my plow for 30-45 minutes after that it drew a lot of power from the battery and the needle would dip all the way till almost the truck would stall. I shut everything off and let it charge up the battery and battery held the charge.

By the way after this, it has never happened, only happend to me because I left my lights on

How old is the battery it might not be able to handle the constant draw and recharge of power??
  6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Happens to me a lot as well. Usually its when I'm moving the plow a lot and not giving it much of a rest. I have a small driveway that I'm angling a lot and raising/lowering the plow a lot and very frequently and I'll notice the charges dropping. I've gotten used to plowing this driveway with all my strobes off, radio off, and heater off just incase.
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I obviously have 2 batteries with a diesel. My volt gauge just drops a hair when I operate the plow, but goes right back to normal.
  8. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Would a higher output alternator help or a better battery.
    The battery is 2 yrs old 800 cca?