1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Dodge Durange

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by erkoehler, Sep 25, 2008.

1. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Does anyone plow with these trucks? I have 100k on the motor/trans and haven't had to do any work to it as of now.....knock on wood.

The motor is the smaller V8, I think 4.7L??

Is it worth investing in a plow for this truck, or should I get a pickup to plow with?

2. erkoehler

Anybody out there have a opinion on the 2004 Dodge Durango with a plow?

3. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

I think you will be fine putting a plow on it. Ive seen em on durangos, explorers etc..... do a search this has probly come up before.
    you just doin driveways? if not then upgrade to a pickup for anything bigger. jmo

4. erkoehler

I want to try to be a sub for some contractors in the area, so I am not sure what I'd be plowing. I am considering picking up a 3/4 ton pickup as well.

I would prefer commercial over dealing with residential.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your seriously considering subing for commercial...I highly recommend more truck. :nod:

6. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

3/4 ton at a min. for commercial, pref. a 9' blade

7. erkoehler

In that case, if you guys hear of any deals on used trucks let me know! I think I should be able to get a pretty reliable setup for 20k?!?

I would prefer diesel if possible.

Maybe I'll add a smaller plow to the durango for residential and let someone else drive it.

8. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

if you put a plow on that suv be preparded to put a new transmission in it. those trans dont take much especially with 100k on it.

9. erkoehler

That is not something I want to hear! So far, no signs of the trans going. It is alot of highway miles, I commute 70 miles round trip each day.

I've towed so many boats with this Durango that shouldn't have been behind it, I can't believe it has been trouble free up until this point!

10. chew246214@aol.

chew246214@aol. Member
    from 02809

Actually those transmissions behind the 4.7 are quite reliable... Make sure you do regular trans services and change the 2 filters.. One You need to drop the pans and in your face is the pancake style filter(make sure the oring comes off and new one is installed correctly) then up by the valvebody there is another filter that looks like an oil filter...This is where the majority of problems are stemming from.. nobody knows they are there.. There are TSB's on this.. this is the main problem with these transmissions... as far as reliable it's usually other problems around the truck at 100 thousand plus... Steering issues, racks and pumps.. the rears haven't been too bad... but also make sure you install a trans cooler and keepan eye on the trans lines.. (they tend to leak) These aren't the older chrysler transmissions behind the 318/360 this is the exact transmissin used behind the 5.7 hemi and holding up pretty well.. The diesel auto Trans up to 2006 is a completly different story.. Now those I make a ton of money on... Oh BTW I ran untill I moved a few months ago a parts Deptment for a decent size Dodge dealership we did quite a number of trucks daily... Just sharing the trends that I saw......

11. erkoehler

Decided to keep the Durango and rack up the daily driving miles on it.

I will be plowing with a 2001 Chevy 2500hd 4x4.

12. chew246214@aol.

chew246214@aol. Member
    from 02809

13. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

much better choice. the dodge would have caused you problems.

14. erkoehler

Got the plow almost 100% mounted on the truck today!

2001 Chevy 2500hd w/ 2009 Boss 8.2 V Steel blade w/ smartlocks!

15. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

we had a 2002 dodge dakota with the 4.7 and blew the trans at 30k when plowing lightly.

16. erkoehler

No plowing for me with the durango, but I have towed some HUGE boats with it. Hasn't let me down yet, and just passed 104,200 miles!

17. chew246214@aol.

chew246214@aol. Member
    from 02809

like I said trans flushes and both filters.. took them awhile to figure that out... that trans came out with the 4.7 in 2000 or 2001.....