1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Dodge 4x4 Quad 1500 Info needed

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dss56, Feb 21, 2009.

1. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Anyone out there have a good part # and where to get one for a Heavy duty clutch fan for the 2004 Quad 1500- 4.7 engine? I need to try this to see if it will stop or reduce the overheating on the highway with the Fisher blade on. I made an air foil it did help a bit but wanted to try the HD clutch Fan.
    Has anyone tried this on their Dodge and did it work? Mine is the non electric one just mechanical.

thanks

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Advance Auto - Hayden part #2742

Napa - Part # TEM271616

Autozone - Torqflo part #922511

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I gota be honest with you. I think you are thorwing money at an issue that needs to upgraded instead of bandaids all around it. I know the CTD has no real issues except for those new 5500 series. And I dont see the Hemi owners complaining. I would go out and spend the 300 and buy bigger better radaitor. check with a junk yard and get one of a Hemi maybe its bigger and should bolt right in. Maybe some of the other 4.7 owners will chime in about issue. Or go over to Dodge talk and ask them about this

4. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I did look up the above parts and they all seem to have a short connection back to the water pump. The one that is on there now has a 2.5 inch large hex from the clutch to the pump pulley. Will this affect anything with the shorter shaft on a newer replacement?
    Also is it best to take off or loosen the serpentine belt to replace the clutch?
    On the 1500 it this a reverse clutch fan?

thanks

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If the 4.7's are like the older engines the large nut is what holds the fan clutch on. Once again if it's the same as the 5.2/5.9, leave the belt on, put a large adjustable wrench on the fan clutch nut, put a breaker bar on the belt adjuster and pull and hold it as tight as you can then whack the adjustable wrench with a hammer, the nut is a left hand thread.

6. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

I took some pictures of my 4.7 dodge fan clutch. Can you see the big hex nut. Well that is 2.5 inches long. All the above # I looked up showed pictures but the clutch has a short nut looks like an inch or so long. Will this affect anything if I buy one? Or should I go to the dealer and see what they have in a HD fan clutch?

thanks

DSCN1240.jpg

DSCN1241.jpg

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Ah I see what you're saying now, it's likely the pictures you're seeing aren't of the exact part just a representation. I'd go to the store and ask for one and see the actual part.

8. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I have a hemi in my 05 quad cab and I too run hot while traveling between jobs I think I found the sweet spot that i can angle the plow to let more air by, it helps a little, I always have to leave the heater running and the window down. also I was thnking of putting a electric fan on so i can just turn it on when needed. anyone ever do that?

9. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

rjnjr1019

I read in other sites that alot of plowers will put the fan in the front of the radiator so you can have the stock and the electric. If mounted in the front you can get a Temp kit the will have a thermal probe with it. You will push the probe through the fins on the radiator and then adjust the temperature for the temp you want the fan to come on. The control is adjustable so you can get the best results. Also you will be able to wire in a over ride switch so you can put the fan on manually.

I'm going to try the HD fan clutch first and see if that does it if not then a radiator in the front with the temp control and overide sw.

10. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

If I did decide to add an electric fan. In front of the radiator instead of removing the clutch fan. Having both. What would be a good choice? I have read where some have gotten some from a salvage yard. What would be a good one from a car or truck that I could use in my Dodge 1500. I know I would have to make some brackets and the wiring would be no problem. Just need a good used one that someone has used before that has helped.

Also as I stated I would like to keep the clutch fan and add this to the front. Any suggestions on this, has anyone tried this setup with good results?

thanks

11. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Just so you know you need a special tool or a air chisel to take off the clutch fan.

12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

No you don't, the process I described above has worked for many people.