1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 crewcab dodge and a plowing???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Johnny V, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Anyone have this and use it? Dodge no longer makes an "extended cab" so I am thinking about getting the crew cab and 8' bed.

I need the 8' bed and the truck will be used for 3-5 lots as I do property management for a small company.

If anyone has it and uses it to plow please let me know. I currently own a crew cab Ford dually and did not get a plow for it because turning radius is horrible and it was just to big. Some people have said the dodge is doable for small/personal use.

Please let me know and a plow you would recommend for mediam sized lots.....

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

truck would be more than doable it would work fine for commercial use and or personal. As far as the plow goes look around 8' sounds good but its really up to you. If you really need it for lots you could get a v-plow there are so many different plows you could choose cheak out their sites.

3. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Thank you I appreciate the opiion from someone who does plowing. Looks like I am heading to the dealer for one.....

4 doors and loaded a lot of $$$ but I will keep it for 10 years. Now as for the plow will not need it this winter so when can I start looking for "plow sales"??? ie when is the best and cheapest time to buy a plow???

Any recomendations for a SMALL salt speader that can be put on and off by one person in 10 or less minutes? I think they have ones that fit into the hitch mounts, or am I dreaming?

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

be carefull about warantee. some cab configs dont come with the "plow prep" and some dealers may or may not give you warantee grief. Kinda depends on the dealer if they will look the other way or not. Also V plows are much heavier(or any other heavy plow) and may put a crewcab's front axel over its weight limit(or a ex cab)

Guys do it and get away with it but it might not be "right"

Chevys turning radius destroys ford and dodge. I believe a ex cab long bed chevy will turn shorter than a reg cab long bed ford. People dont like the IFS but its capacity is still enough that I can run a 9'6" V on my 2500HD with a deisel(read heavy) and it handles the plow with no problems. Some people think Chevy IFS is to weak to plow but obviously I think otherwise.

They make spreaders that go into your hitch, lots of manufactures. Do a search on tailgate spreaders and you will come up with lots of reading.

5. ratlover

from IL

oh, and ussually spring or summer you can get last years units for a bit cheaper

6. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I wouldn't call 3-5 medium size parking lots small/personal use.
    I would get a 2500 for sure and make sure you get the plow prep.

7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I just talked to a guy today that has a 2002 Dodge crew cab. And he was telling me that they dont make a plow for this truck. Now im sure somebody makes a plow for it but he had a meyer plow that he had just pulled off of another Dodge leased truck and wanted to put on his crew cab. Well anyways its looking like ill be doing his contracts for the remainder of the year, so watch out what you try putting a plow on, do your homework...Rob

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

western makes a plow and suggest you use 1000lbs of ballast

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I feel the truck part has been commented on enough already.

As for the spreader...... Make sure you get a SMALL one if you plan on attaching it by yourself. I have a 600 lb Buyers/Meyer tailgate spreader that I adapted to fit into my reciever. While I can REMOVE it by myself, I have only been able to INSTALL it solo ONCE. First of all its heavy, well over 150 lbs.. But its the BULK of it that gets ya. There is no real place to "grab" it. Then you have to insert it, "blind" into a 2" receiver hole. NOT fun.

Make sure you don't get a 600lb'er go for a 300lb capacity, as they're around 75lbs, and not nearly as "bulky".

10. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Thanks everyone!!!!

OK as for a plow not being made for the truck does that sound weird to anyone??? I just did a QUICK search and saw that fisher RD states it can be used on Dodge 2500W. I am sure a 2500 is a 2500 crew cab or not....

OK big time newbie here.... Someone said use 1k of ballast.... ummm what does this mean?

Lastly thanks for the thoughts on the spreader TLS. I am going to look at a simple 9 cubic foot spreader. They look small enough and if the hopper is made out of plastic I should be able to handle it. Does this sound about the right size? You are right and seeing my truck is used for so many things I need to make sure I can get it on and off by myself in 5 minutes or less.....

Also when people take the salt spreaders off at the end of the day it is ok to have some salt in there or are you suppose to make sure it is empty everytime?

11. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Ballast simply means extra weighti n the bed to off-set the weight on the front of the truck. Will help to balance the weight out. Might not 1k pounds if you plan to put a spreader on the back, but some ballast is recommended. Should talk about it in the plow owners manual, or do a search here to find more info.

12. ratlover

from IL

balast is weight you put in the bed of your truck. its best to go behind the rear tires. it acts like a lever, it pushes down behind the rear tires and thus trys to pull the front tires up(less weight on the front axel) plus it helps with traction

13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Johnny V,

A 9 cu/ft tailgate spreader is the largest size that I was commenting on (600lb cap.). New ones range from 150 to well over 200lbs with mounts!

NOT likely to put these on by yourself for sure!

Better get the smaller 300lb capacity if you want to be removing it by yourself.

14. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

You should go to the Western website and use their tool to see what plows the recomend. My 2003 2500 quad cab with diesel, 6 speed manual, and long bed only can use the 7.5' regular duty plow.

15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I made up a 1995 K-1500 truck.

Here is what BOSS suggests!

7'6 POWER V-BLADE

Truck Specifications
    Year 1995
    Make Chevrolet/GMC
    Model 1500
    Drive 4 Wheel Drive
    Cab Regular
    Bed Long
    Wheel Base 131.5
    Rear Wheel Single
    Required FGAWR 3925
    Required Snow Plow Prep Code VYU
    Manufacturer's Notes
    Requires Minimum 3925# front GAWR. VYU package required.

Seems like it works for them!

16. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Awesome you guys have been great thanks for all the help and getting me thinking.

TLS: Thanks for saving me from a big mistake.... They look small in the picture but I will stick with a "mini" one. Better price as well :) Most people fill these small ones just from bags you buy at home depot right?

JK: Sound good enough for me!!! Did not need big plow and the small size is fine as I will plow small areas anyway. Can you tell me how you like your truck for plowing and how you like the truck in general???

I would REALLY appreciate it as I am looking at a 2004 dodge quad cab, HO diesel w/ 6 speed... Before I drop $40k I would love to hear thoughts on this for a owner of a new one. As for a plow truck, a truck in general, if there is anything you wished you DID or DID NOT get etc...

THANKS!:drinkup:

17. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I'd never opt for a manual trans KNOWING that I'd be using it for a plow truck, thats for sure! :eek:

Why go stick these days?

Been there done that, never go back.

18. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Unfortunately, I only have the truck and no plow. I was thinking of getting one just for the driveway. I would have to think a automatic would be better for plowing but I really don't like autos. I don't have any plow experience to give on this. Also, in my combination, I only have a payload of aprox 1800 where my 1998 2500 V10/auto reg cab, long bed had one of about 2800 lbs.
    If you put the plow on with the recomended ballast, you are real close to capacity.

19. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

JK:

I was just wondeirng about the truck in general and if you would buy a different package ro wish you had options that you did not buy.

Was at the dealer yesterday and my head was spinning from all the different choices and how they did not know much......

As for a plow I will do some small plowing. So that means it will be a plow truck maybe 5-10% of the year. With that in mind and how I love manuals for many reasons I am sticking to the HD 6 speed.....

20. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

I love the power defrost sideview mirrors. I wish I got a rear window defroster instead of the sliding rear window. Get the protection group to get the skidplate / tow hooks. The hooks may have to be removed for a plow but they cost more than the package when purchased after. Make SURE to get the block heater option! It is really just the power cord, the heater is in the side of the engine, but there is shortage of them and the cost is up there. Some people like to get the cab clearance light on plowtrucks. I just tried to spec up a 2004 and I didn't see an option for rear window defroster.