1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Colorado

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sportsman500??, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

Hi. Im 17 and looking into a truck now. Hows the Colorado for towing and plowing? Thanks

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Does alright plowing just can't go pushing a foot of snow at a time. I have not towed with it yet. Go to www.coloradofans.com and www.355nation.net/forum these 2 sites have everything you need to know. If you purchase a Colorado go with a 5 cylinder auto, plow wise go with a Boss Sport Duty or Fisher HT. I will be doing a full review on the HT and Colorado combo after a few more snowfalls.

3. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

Alright, I will throw the link out there. Just don't go buying it from me. http://sussexhonda.com/used-inventory/ It is on the third page all the way down and its orange. Could someone tell me if its auto or manual since it says two different things? Also, do you think the price is reasonable compared to others in the same area
    ? Btw, will a 3.5 L engine do okay plowing?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  4. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

If you look at the pictures of the dashboard, you will see it has the gear selector in between the speedometer and the tach, that's the first clue it is for-surely an automatic. Also if you look at the picture on the interior, the shifter is on the column, and in newer vehicles for a manual, the shifter is on the floor rather than the old 3 on the tree. Also in that same picture if you look at the pedals, there is no clutch. Hope that helps! As far as price goes I am not sure due to not living in your area, sweet looking truck though.

5. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

Thanks for the clarification. Thats what I wanted to hear.

6. vincent

vincent Senior Member

I plowed with an 08 canyon last year with a boss sport duty. It did a fine job. I also installed a tranny cooler. Also had the 3.7L with auto.

7. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

How much did the cooler cost?

8. Stik208

Its the 3.5 auto. These trucks have there quirks, the main being the heads go bad. This is caused by an excessive buildup of carbon on the valves. Dealers now warrenty the new had till 100,000 miles on 04-05 Colorados. Do a search on Canyon to see Vincent's pictures they are impressive.
    Vincent - Do you miss it?

9. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

Btw, i am only 16 as i've said and have no experience with truck internals. What will a 3.5 L be good for?

10. vincent

vincent Senior Member

$30, $40 maybe. I got it through Summit Racing.

11. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

How would the Western Suburbanite do on the Colorado? According to the plow chooser, I see that I would need to add rougly 300 pounds in the bed, but would that plow be alright on the Colorado? Where I would be plowing there are no curbs or objects to hit either except for trees which is no problem.

12. matt7791

matt7791 Member

i have a meyers drive pro 6.8 plow on mine works great also has the 3.5l motor with no problems i added a load boss 200 amp alternator with a snow ex salter

13. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

I would think that a Col/Canyon would make a great little plow truck. Seeing however that it is at a Honda dealer, I would take the VIN number to a local GM dealer and see if they could look up the claim history and

repair history of it. Might come in hand before dumping almost 15k on a truck. I would love to be of service (work at a GM dealer) but I am not sure if there are any repercussions of posting said information.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  14. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

As long as you don't post the previous owners name or address then it's no different than posting a carfax. If the truck was serviced at a dealer then carfax might have the service history to but it won;t be as good as what you can pull..

To the OP: if you PM me the vin number I'll run a carfax for you. But please don't do this unless your serious about buying it.

15. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

I was thinking just a summary of any work that has been done to it, nothing else.

16. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

Well, the CarFax report was up the few times I went to check it out. Now I need to pay for it??? It had some damage in an accident in Ohio on the front end. I have no idea if I was looking at a sample CarFax report now.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  17. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Well, here is what mechanically has been done to the truck:

FUEL TANK FILLER CAP REPLACEMENT

REPLACE STOP LAMP SWITCH

LINK OR SPRING, FRONT DOOR HOLD OPEN - LEFT - REPLACE

MOTOR AND/OR FAN, BLOWER - R&R OR REPLACE

MOTOR AND/OR FAN, BLOWER - R&R OR REPLACE

REAR SIDE DOOR UP/DOWN ADJUSTMENT - RIGHT SIDE

REAR SIDE DOOR UP/DOWN ADJUSTMENT - LEFT SIDE

HEAD, CYLINDER - REPLACE 20182mi

HEAD, CYLINDER - REPLACE 28537mi

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE ENGINE REPROGRAMMING WITH SPS

BATTERY POSITIVE CABLE REPLACEMENT

VALVE STEM OIL SEAL AND VALVE SPRING REPLACEMENT

FRONT BRAKE SHIELD REPLACEMENT - BOTH SIDES

OUTPUT SHAFT SEAL REPLACEMENT - RIGHT SIDE

18. Stik208

Looks like a truck built on friday at 430, walk away.

19. Sportsman500??

Sportsman500?? Member
    from PA

??

Btw, thanks for the carfax, no accidents though?

20. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

...if you are talking about the list I posted (post 17) that is not from Carfax. That is from the GM VIS (Vehicle Inquiry System) which shows the build history, claim history, summary, etc. by the VIN of a vehicle. If there were any accidents on the vehicle, I would think VIS wouldn't show it unless the work was done at a GM dealer's body shop.