1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 chevy silverado 3500 mason dump problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by delly, Oct 30, 2011.

1. delly

delly Junior Member
    from nj

i have a 2004 chevy 6.0 automatic i have a meyers plow on it, i have a problem when the plow is on the truck and im transporting with plow up the truck overheats, when im plowing i have no problem at all, when the plow is off the truck again no problem at all.. im assuming its a air to radiator problem, so what can i do???? please help thx jim

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Fan clutch

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Yep, and a good radiator cleaning might help too.

4. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

drive with the plow as low to the ground as possible. This will allow more air to hit the radiator. Some plow brands, such as Blizzard, offer an air foil to direct air to the radiator.

5. delly

delly Junior Member
    from nj

i can drive it low to the ground and the heat on high, but i wanted to not have to do that, im hoping the fan clutch will eliminate that...

6. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

What speed are you driving at when it overheats? If your at or close to highway speeds you must do as Sven suggests and drive with the plow low.

7. delly

delly Junior Member
    from nj

ok i called the dealer today, they dont list any upgraded hd fan clutch for my truck, he checked the one on the 3500 hd and same thing, the part number they have is for the fan clutch i already have.. does anybody have a part number for me? thx guys

8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Could they tell if your clutch was bad?

I'd say clean the radiator first. My 3500HD will spike a bit and turn my fan on when running down the highway in the winter with my plow on, but it's never over-heated.

Sometimes just a bit of an angle will help with air-flow too.

9. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

i got 94 and 95 chevy that does same thing after i put deflecters on top of blades my 98 dont i got to have them for big lots and private roads so i set my lift chain so my plows are about 4 to 6 inches off ground no more running hot on highways between lots

10. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Angling and dropping should cover it. Upgrading the clutch or adding an aux. fan, is probably just treating the symptoms, instead of curing the problem, try having the dealer do a power flush on the cooling system, and of course check your thermostat.