1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Chevy & 8.2 Boss V

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by secret_weapon, Apr 2, 2012.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I'll just start one thread and keep updating as more pictures get taken.
    Recently purchased a 2004 Chevy 2500HD LT, 8.1/Allison, ECSB. When I bought it, the stock tire size was still on it, 245's, which were worn out so I had no problem taking them off. Got a really nice set of 285's from a friend for really cheap. Much better! Just this past weekend I picked up a Boss 8.2 poly V for a deal that was impossible to pass up.

downsized_0402121329.jpg

downsized_0402121330.jpg

2. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Good start Thumbs Up

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice truck and plow. How do you like the 8.1?

4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Nice truck, Any other plans for the truck?

5. SnoMan19

SnoMan19 Member

Nice set up man.

6. secret_weapon

Thanks for the comments! Truck usually sits during the summer except when something needs towed/hauled that's too big for the car. Like all my previous trucks, it will be a dedicated plow truck. Currently sitting at work for the summer where it will get serviced and prepped for winter. Just replaced the front shocks with Bilstein 5100's. The original shock were not worn out, but the 5100's give a much better feel.
    Loving the power of the 8.1! Cant wait to see how it plows, I've always had Chevy 5.7 and while it had enough power, my fuel mileage was consistantly 3-5 mpg. If the 8.1 get that or does better I will be very happy.

Still in search of Boss truck mount

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  7. secret_weapon

Found a truck mount, so I installed the wiring harness and mount. Bought SumoSprings for the frontend, just like Timbren's but cheaper. Got them from Amazon.com for $117 shipped. Seems to hold the front up pretty well. The front drops about an inch with the plow up, but some of that is the tires squishing. Started to take apart the plow and completely go through it. Clean everything up, new fasteners, new fluid, grease and FF. I found the left lower center pin support broken. Seems to me that it needed more weld. I'll get that welded back together easily.

downsized_0722121636.jpg

downsized_0722121636a.jpg

downsized_0722121636b.jpg

8. secret_weapon

I bought a cheap center console cup holder and modified it to hold the V joystick and hid all the wires. Bought a set of WeatherTech floor mats to keep the carpet looking new.

downsized_0722121737.jpg

downsized_0722121738.jpg

downsized_0722121738a.jpg

downsized_0722121739.jpg

9. icl

icl Member

I have 3 trucks with the 350 5.7L in them and average at least 10MPG. Thats with one hauling 2.5-3 ton almost all the time. I wonder why your average is so low?

10. secret_weapon

That average is for plowing. Normal everyday driving was 13-15 mpg. I'm actually impressed with my new truck with the 8.1, went on a trip and got 15 mpg all highway. I was real easy on the gas. Normal everyday driving I'm getting 11 mpg.

11. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Good idea on the cup holder and I need some of those floor mats :D

12. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Your set up is going well, so what's the plan for lighting ?

13. secret_weapon

I'm still thinking about 4 corner strobes, but for now I'm running the good standard magnetic strobe. Went to local junk yard and got a cheap 3rd brak lamp assembly and wired my strobe through that so I can keep the nice one for summer.

downsized_0723120812a.jpg

14. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Weather Tech floor liners are one of the best investments for a vehicle.

15. secret_weapon

This is the cleanest used truck I've bought, I'll try to keep it clean as long as I can. On my past trucks I remember what happened and trying to prevent all that with this one.

16. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Nice setup you got! I like the floor mats to. Also I like what you did with the consol and the joystick. It really makes the truck look good.

17. secret_weapon

Starting to buy and gather everything for dual battery setup and 200A alternator. 2 new batteries and alt. will be kinda pricey.

18. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

looks great!! i am looking at a 2002 gmc sierra 2500 rclb with the 8.1 !! im on the fence with the gas mileage though....

19. secret_weapon

Here is something to think about, I have a friend with same truck as me but with 6.0L , we both have 3.73 gears. He pulls a horse trailer and gets about 12-13 mpg. His truck was down for a little this summer and used my truck. He said was getting 11 mpg and had a s*** ton more power to pull with mine.
    I bought my truck as a dedicated plow truck, it usually sits in the summer. I average 5k miles a year so fuel mileage wasn't that big a deal, or a deal breaker. I just thought going with the 8.1 and allison it should be a pretty bullet proof.

20. secret_weapon

Got the front windows tinted to match the rear.
    The third pic is the before.

downsized_0803121726a.jpg

downsized_0803121737a.jpg

downsized_0803121643b.jpg