1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Chevy 8.1 MPG??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CHCSnowman, Feb 26, 2007.

1. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

Any of you guys that have a 2500HD with 8.1...........can you let me know how your mileage is? How about compared to a 6.0. I have a 6.0 and only get about 10-11 MPG.

Thanks,
    Randy

2. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i have only drove the 8.1 a few times, average milage was 8-11, i thing while towing its about the same though

3. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Depends on your plow, your lead foot, how you drive, etc. You should be happy with 8 mpg out of a hog that big, thats alot of cubes to feed. I have a 454 in a 3500hd and I get around 7. During our big storm 2 weeks ago, even my duramax, crew cab, 8 ft meyer, only averaged 8, but I was pushing 10 inches of snow.

4. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

Thanks Guys. Wonder if the Ford's get about the same mileage?

Randy

5. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

The best I have gotten is 13, all highway. The 5.4 fords are about the same as far as the people I have talked to. The dodges are even worse. A close friend has a dakota and the best he has gotten is 11. His brother has a hemi and gets about 8-10.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

You can get about 14 or so all highway with either a Ford 5.4 or 6.8.

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Quit your complaining I have a Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0 6cyl and I get 4MPG while plowing and 9 - 13 on the highway!!!!!:yow!:

8. SneekyTT

SneekyTT Junior Member

Damn! Thats horrendous... my 5.3L gets 15-16 around town and about 20 on the highway... but I get 13 when towing. My girlfriends grand cherokee gets about the same as mine, and its got the 4.0L quadra-trac awd.

9. My 8.1L gets between 10.0-11.5 mixed city/hwy. Towing 6000lbs...I got 8.5mpg.

With plow frame (not plow blade), 500lb balast, 285s (corrected) and no front valance, and cold weather I get 9-10mpg city.

My worst was lots of plowing...6mpg.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Do those who have the 8.1 wish you got the 6.0? In a few years or so im hoping to get a 3/4 and prolly wont have the funds for a diesel. Truck will be a daily driver, plow truck, and tow atvs around.

11. No way on the 6.0L! For a couple MPG if that? I absolutely love my 8.1/Allison combo... From what I see 6.0L gets at most, a couple mpg better...still pretty poor aint it? I just assume have an abundance of power. I bought the truck expecting around 10mpg...and knowing it would do anything I needed w/o complaints.

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My 1500 with a 350 in it gets about 11mpg average right now. No plow, daily driven, and pulls trailers.

13. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Holy crap
    that's just awful
    last couple truck all 4wd

03 Ford F250 V-10 6speed manual: 13mpg town/freeway (didn't matter), 8mpg towing 9k lb tractor w/trailer
    02 Ford F350 dually, 7.3L diesel, 6 speed manual. 13 to 15mpg freeway, 10 to 11mpg towing 9kl b tractor w/trailer

06 Dodge 2500 (friend's actually). 5.9L diesel, 4speed auto. 18 to 21mpg freeway/town. 13 to 15mpg towing a single axle enclosed trailer.

06 Chevy 2500 (2 of these) 6.6L Duramax diesel with Allison 6psd transmission. 17mpg in town, 20 to 22mpg freeway. 13 to 15mpg towing 9klb tractor & trailer.

seriously, you guys have got to go diesel if you haul a lot.

14. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

The 8100 is awesome. I have three and a Duramax. Best I've gotten is 14+ on the highway on my '06 w/the 6 spd Ally. BUT, that same truck got about 6 plowing that last storm; but whattya expect going forward/back/fprward/back? I had the 6.0 in my '04 and you might bet 1-2 mpg better, but the power/torque more than makes up for it. NO regrets here. Too bad Chevy killed it for the new body style...

15. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

8100 is by far the BEST gas motor i have owned. sucks on gas but boy does it haul a$$!!! never has any hesitation, and with the allison trans. attached it's a bulletproof couple. Love my truck and my motor.

Website Pictures 016.jpg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  16. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I've had lots of Chevy big block trucks over the years plus 1 6.5 detroit turbo diesel, 1 6.6 duramax, 2 6.0 Ford powerstrokes. All have been trucks I've towed10 K to 20K trailers with up and down the east coast. Lone Cowboy-- ya gotta agree with me on one thing.
    If you want to tow--get a diesel. If ya want to tow fast- get a big block. Diesels are hard to justify if you aren't gonna run them forever or at least 200K miles to get your investment back out. Big block are what --A $1,000 option at most usually and just look at how big of a smile they put on your face when you mash the go pedal!:D : :D :D :)

17. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I dunno
    most diesels will smoke most stock big blocks
    towing or not. (esp towing)

The 6.6 LBZ duramax makes like 600ft-lbs of torque
    I think the 8100 makes like 400 or so? (not sure, feel free to correct me)

that's muscle
    but yeah, if you tow all the time, gotta go diesel.

18. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Off the line, a stock big block will eat a stock diesel every time. Once that turbo spools up, it may catch it, but diesels are slow until then. The Dmax is easier to mod and you get greater gains for your buck and they are awesome to pull with. The fuel economy is way better too. For driveability and that sh!t eatin' grin you can't get off your face, the 8100 is king. The 8.1 is about $6K cheaper. You can buy a lotta fuel with that...

19. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I would go for the 8.1 every time. Roughly the same economy, way more power and a better transmission. Personally I can't stand the 6.0, I've driven quite a few of them and found them to be dogs. I've passed on quite a few trucks I've looked at just because of the 6.0. Been tempted a few times because they are cheaper, dime a dozen now, but just completely nutless. I don't know where Chevy came up with the 300 hp figure, I find it difficult to believe.

20. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

I get anywhere from 3.5-4 MPG in mine while plowingwesport