1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax Dump 1 ton

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BOSSMAN21, Nov 7, 2011.

1. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Anyone know what kind of gas mileage I could expect out of one of these trucks? I have been looking at buying one, this is the one I have been looking at, let me know what you think. Thanks!Thumbs Up
    http://maine.craigslist.org/ctd/2677647353.html

2. durallymax

durallymax Senior Member

That truck is an 04.5 meaning it has the LLY motor which was the first year for countrywide EGR and CAT on the duramax. The LLY got poorer fuel economy than the LB7, however the EGR can be blocked or completly deleted which will help some.

Just cruising around town with a stock truck like that I would think in the 12-14mpg range. Im guessing you wont be spending much time on the highway. i could be wrong though dont know much about numbers for the chassis cabs.

3. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Had one and loved it. My 04 would get any where between 11-18 and mabey get better then that. It just depends what your going to be doing with it. I loved that truck and miss it.

4. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I had the LB7 and when just driving around no trailer or load I always saw 18mpg highway. It got better mpg then my 01 3500, 08 2500, 04 2500, 06 4500, and some time my wifes tahoe.

5. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

I have an 07 dump with the lbz and I get around 11-12 pulling a 16' enclosed, haven't checked it empty but I would suspect 12-14.

That truck does look very clean.
    That box and underside must be repainted? No fold down sides on the box, I've found the fold down sides on mine to be very helpful. Also I know different areas are going to be priced differently but I paid less for an 07 with 110k on it. No power options in mine though.

6. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Thank you guys for all the replies, I would be doing a major amount of time driving around on country roads (tarred but not highway cond.) and I would think I could get 14 with what you have told me. Honestly, my 2500HD doesnt even get anywhere close to that, maybe 12? and thats on a good day. Is this way over priced? or would it be a good deal, its a dealer truck and they said the dump bed has a 2 year warrenty, as well as the bed components (ram, controls, etc.). Also, the truck had never been plowed with.....so they say...they said they installed the plow themselves? Is this over priced? Thanks in advance!

7. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

I personally would shoot for 16-17k on it, so no I don't think it's terribly overpriced (for my area).
    Like I said trucks may be priced a little differently where you're at so I don't really know. Do you have some others in the area to compare it to?

Also I would try to take it to a third party for an inspection, I was ready to buy a couple of them until I had them checked out by a mechanic. If the inspection does turn anything up that will give you more negotiating power.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  8. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Excellent point Greenery. The vehicle is around a 3.5 hour drive though, I think I am going to take a mechanic down and take another looksee, I would love to have it, but I am not going to pay 20k for it. I will take a mechanic when I go to look on Thursday the 10th and if it checks out ok, and I can dicker them down, I will own a new to me 1 ton dump Thumbs Up