1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Chevy 2500HD. Is this all that I need?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DS2004HD, Sep 28, 2014.

1. DS2004HD

DS2004HD Junior Member
    from LI, NY

Looking to start plowing this coming winter. I've narrowed down that I want a Western plow for my 04 2500HD. The main question I have is what I need exactly to have on my truck so when I purchase a plow, I'm all set to connect and go. Looking to get a 7'6'' or 8' PRO. So far I have:

56369 joystick
    26345 vehicle harness
    63411 power harness
    29048 headlight harness
    29070 iso module
    mounts
    Timbrens

Is this all I need to have on my truck in order to have a functioning plow? Sorry for the newb questions, my first plow that I will actually own and have on my personal truck.

Thanks

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

You'll need a 56131 battery relay. a 22511 cable to connect the relay to the battery, and a 29047 adapter to use the 26345 control harness with a three port module.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The only parts unique to your truck will be the mount and the headlight harness. Why buy all the other parts before you find a used plow? Anyone buying a brand new plow will be upgrading to a multiplex system in which case they will be pulling most of the three plug wiring and wanting to sell them with the plow. I would find a plow first and then buy what u must. The list u show will cost between $1000 and $1500. Why buy it unless you are sure you need it? Chances are all you will need is the mount and headlight harness. Also consider the possibility that u might find a great deal on a two plug pro-plow in which case u need a whole other electrical setup.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  4. DS2004HD

DS2004HD Junior Member
    from LI, NY

The main reason is bc I got everything new for about $700 by shopping around. Another is all I've been finding is 3 plug Ultra Mounts in my general area for sale. Just need to see what I needed bc Westerns quick match page doesn't seem to have everything listed.

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

cubicinches is right on with the missing parts. you have almost everything already.

6. mishnick

Here is a link to the parts list for the typical 3 plug 3 port isolation module setup for a pro-plow, or any 3 plug straight blade. Page 8 shows a nice overview of the electrical, particularly the adapter 29047 that the guys are talking about: Item 6 on page 8. Page 7 shows the motor relay (but they don't look like that any more).
    http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/64295.08_121507.pdf

7. DS2004HD

DS2004HD Junior Member
    from LI, NY

Thanks for all the info! I was wondering about that relay, I've read that on a couple threads here and there but didn't get a sound answer so I wanted to ask here.

8. mishnick

All electric over hydraulic plows have one of those relays. Boss, Sno-way etc and they are cross compatible. The older style Westerns (three plug) have them under the hood close to the battery. The new two plug multiplex systems have it on-board the plow. There are two types of these relays offered by Western too. The 42902 is the newer "intermittent operation" version that is used on the two plug system. Being on-board they are farther away from the battery so there is less voltage at the relay. They draw a little more current and will overheat if left on long term. The 56131K-2 (AKA 56131) is the "continuous" version. They both look the same but are marked "cont" and "int" on the label. You can use the wrong one in a pinch but they do have a specific purpose. When you mount your relay place it horizontally, if possible with the positive terminal at the top. I know there are those that call bull but I was taught that the negative side of the copper disk inside corrodes faster than the top positive. So if you mount it this way the copper disk will rotated causing it to distribute the wear all around the disk. Doing this will make it live longer.

9. DS2004HD

DS2004HD Junior Member
    from LI, NY

Got most of it wired in already, just stuck on 2 sections.

The hot labeled wire on the Western harness connects to the hot wire on truck's headlight harness and the common labeled wire to the truck's ground?

Does it matter what orientation the shorter wires on the truck's harness get connected to the relay?