1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 chevy 2500 w/ Boss plow Prob???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pavwa, Nov 23, 2011.

1. pavwa

pavwa Member

I have a 2004 Chevy 2500 with a boss 7.6ft standard plow on the front. I hooked it up for the first time this season to transport it from storage and noticed the truck was getting pretty hot, ( even though it was only 40 degrees outside) it didn't overheat but I noticed by the end of last plow season that it was getting hot almost to the point of overheating once and a while also. Should I replace the thermostat or what should I do? I don't really want to deal with this all season, and prefer not to spend unnecessary money in trying to fix it.Thanks for any replys..

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You need a HD or super duty fan clutch. I have same truck and it is what worked for mine.
    There is a part # somewhere on here if you do a search for "Chevy fan clutch" or "Chevy overheating".

I believe NAPA carries a good one.
  3. pavwa

pavwa Member

Thanks for the info I will look into it...Thanks a lot!!
  4. bleacher43

bleacher43 Member
    from MA

Sometimes if you are riding around with your blade up for an extended period. You may be restricting air flow to the radiator. Something to make sure before dropping any dough.
  5. cosgo

cosgo Member

Also, try washing out the radiator. You'd be surprised how many bugs, and dirt and muck get stuck in there and restrict airflow, which slowly creeps your temps up.
  6. pavwa

pavwa Member

My temps fine pulling my trailer and driving w/o plow on but as soon as its on it got hot...I tried every position with the plow but nothing made that much of a difference. So the plow is obviously the culprit and if a new hd fan clutch will throw more air flow at it I guess that's prob the way to go, I thought about flushing the radiator, I know dex cool tends to gum a little bit but even doing that your still going to spend $50 to $90 depending if you do it yourself or not. So the cost of a clutch is about $80 at napa...I don't know what to do I just hate spending money on something that might not work.
  7. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I have a 05 Chev with the same deal. Here is a check on the fan clutch per the haynes manual. Cold truck start it run it for 2 mins and turn it off. Spin the fan by hand and the resistance should be little. Now go drive the truck to get it all warmed up for 20 mins and turn it off. Spin the fan by hand and it should have more resistance if not it is bad. Mine spun pretty easy all warmed up. This weekend I'm replacing it with the Napa one.
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You need to get the right clutch fan. A lot of the 03-04 Chev's/GMC came with the wrong one even if it had the snow plow prep package. Get the right one and that will be the end of your problems.
  9. pavwa

pavwa Member

Well, I replaced the fan clutch with the severe duty clutch from napa yesterday. $85. I got it on and hooked the plow up and took a ride, got up to 40-45 and it stayed right below 210, 55mph right at 210, got onto a back road at 30-35mph and the heat went up to about 235 and stayed there, my heat started to cool down in the truck ( was blowing semi cold) and my outside temp gauge on my rear view read 98 degrees when it was 34 degrees outside. The outside temp gauge has done that in the past when the truck got really warm but I have no idea what to do know. Looks like I wasted the time and money.
  10. pavwa

pavwa Member

Anyone use the napa severe duty fan clutch on their plow truck? the truck got up to about 235 deg today and stayed that way for a lil bit untill i stopped and it cooled down.....the clutch is 1 yr old so I was wondering if anyone had the same prob with it or if its junk already...Thanks oh lowering blade didnt help much if any.
  11. 04WhiteSport

04WhiteSport Senior Member

Also make sure u have a full radiator. My dodge started blowing cold heat and I was a gallon low On antifreeze.
  12. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

I second the checking your anti freeze. If its low there wont be enough to circulate in the system to cool the engine and keep the heater core warm. Also, Make sure you arent adding straight anti freeze. If you have much more than a 50/50- mix it wont cool as well as a 50/50 mix will. If the level and mix is ok. you might have a clogged radiator and heater core. Chevy puts clay pellets in the system from the factory and ive had problems with them on my 96 as well as other vehicles.