1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 chevrolet 2500hd 8.0 overheat

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by phalcone, Dec 6, 2005.

1. phalcone

phalcone Junior Member

My 2004 2500 8.0L overheats while driving with the plow. I have seen some of the threads that have been posted regarding this problem... most have been with 6.0L Are the any specific issues with the 8.0L ? Help if you can thanks.

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

My feeling is that if it is a problem with the 6.0... most likely the 8.0 will have the same problem. But then again I do not know if the 8.0 has the same cooling system as the 6 liter. Might be worth a trip the the stealer and have a chat with the service manager about it. Make sure you mention the 6 liter TSB, maybe they can locate something similar for the 8 liter.

This thread has the 6 liter TSB

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  3. Mr.PLOWSI

Mr.PLOWSI Member

Add me to the list of overheating 05' 2500hd 6.0

Well,
    I look down at the temp guage and im at 230 and climing.:cool: . Just dropped it off at Chevy, mentioned something about the TSB, and the service guy says, sure I'll take care of it. I'm kinda mad cuz I droppped the blade so the temp would drop and I hit a manhole cover from bouncing and it broke off my part of my blade, plus we had like an inch of snow, instead of 4-6, amazing,

4. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Maybe I missed it but what is the TSB# for the 6.0 issue? I plan on going to the dealer this week as I have the same problem too. BTW, my 8.1 does not do this.

5. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Gee, your luck is as bad as mine. keep your head up, things could be worse :)
    G

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

It's because it is an 8.0. If it was the full 8.1 it wouldnt overheat.

7. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Too funny.

8. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

what are you talking about? i wasn't aware that an 8.0 existed, i have an 8.1 does an 8.0 exist i just figured it ("8.0") was a typo/mistake

9. JCStrasser

JCStrasser Member

Some dealers are still clueless about carrying a plow/overheating. Last truck was a 2002 6.0L and before I insisted that this was an apparent "DESIGN FLAW", the dealer actually suggested that I rig up some sort of air deflector- And the truck had the plow prep!!!!!!!!!!! :realmad: It was the fan clutch (as I'm sure many others have stated on this Forum)
    Last year I traded used for used to the truck in the signature. No overheating problems- I'm kind of surprised- bigger engine and all. Most likely the fan clutch is your problem. Drives ya nuts, doesn't it??

John

10. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

There is no 8.0. It was an apparent error. The other post was just humor. That's why I said "Too Funny".

11. SpringerEnterpr

SpringerEnterpr Junior Member

I just got my fan cluth replaced yesterday. I had my plow on last week a 20 min drive and my truck really heated up. Thanks for all the information posted The dealer replaced the fan clutch under warranty. I will see how she runs next time I have the plow on when we get snow.