1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Chev HD 2500 Gas, Battery Drain

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Cosmic Charlie, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

I've had the truck since new, now 100,000 miles, nothing has changed for years, except the battery goes dead in about 4 days sitting. Battery is about 2 years old.

Where should I start to find the problem ? Could a bad battery (cell) cause the battery to go dead in just 4 days ? When I re-charge it, it runs fine and the alternator dash gauge reads between 12.5 to about 14 amps when running, and is fine for re-starting ... until it sits for 4 or more days ... ? then totally dead !

Any regular problem things / issues I should be checking ?

These forums are usually so helpful, gotta love em

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

That charge gauge reads volts not amps, have your alternator tested. Also inspect wires for corrosion. You could also have your battery tested at the same time as your alternator to eliminate that as a possibility. Most obviously check for any electronics that could possibly be on for any reason.
  3. overtime

overtime Senior Member

you could have a draw somewhere also. Nothing that is uncommon we deal with all the time.
    Best wasy to find something like that is take a amp meeter unhook postive side hook one leade to + batter and other to + terminal. see what it is. might take a few mins have key off and everything off with door closed. dont open or do thing if underhood light is on unplug it. should be at or around 0.02 so so nothing more then .06 though. Gm has problems with the radio draining or the cig lighter also but could be alot of things.