1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 760LT Plow won't stay up

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Grant01, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Grant01

Grant01 Junior Member

My plow will not stay up. I just repaired a chaffed wire that went to my S5 coil. I think this was the cause of my fuse blowing problem. Anyway, I cut and spliced the wires together and then went to try my plow. The fuse doesn't blow anymore, but the plow won't stay up. Same problem in the power hitch operation. I can lift it, but the plow will not stay up.

Any ideas? Thanks

2. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

If you raise your plow and then shut it off ( before it falls) will it stay up? I have had a similar problem and was ready to replace a valve. I tried a bunch of things, but I decided to mess with the plug again. That was my problem. Just something to look at.

Good luck, shaun

3. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

check plug then maybe check for power to coil

4. Grant01

Grant01 Junior Member

I mentioned that I had problems blowing fuses. It would only blow when I pushed the controller in float. All other operations worked. I would say it was the chaffed wire. Anyway, from an earlier description of my fuse problem, Jerre mentioned that I should check my S5 coil. I ordered a new coil (it has not come yet), but was not sure how I would get my cover off to replace it, because the plow was all the way up, which puts my cover snug to the bumper, and the plow frame tight to the light tower. I wasn't sure how I was going to get the cover off, so I figured I'd replace the blown fuse and maybe for some weird reason the plow would work. As soon as I put a new fuse in and it made contact, the plow dropped. I never touched the controller and the controller was turned off. I was kind of surprised it dropped, but was kind of happy because I could at least take my plow off my truck, and I could also get the cover off. When I took the cover off, that's when I noticed the chaffed wire and fixed it. I was hoping the plow would then work, and it does without blowing a fuse, but will not stay up. I'm really confused now. I will check to see if I have power to the S5 coil. I'll clean the plug, too. Thanks guys

5. articstorm

articstorm Member

A couple things.

One thing I found that was nice about the blizzard is that you can take off the light tower to get access to the cover. Answers your question next time you can't get the cover off with the plow up.

Second most of the problems I have had had a root cause of the truck and plow wiring harness connections. One thing they did on the second truckside harness was ziptie it very close to the plug itself. This caused the plug to twist when the plow was raised and started blowing fuses from current jumping.

Another thing was that there was far to much grease in the plug so it was pushing the two sides apart, causing more problems and blown fuses.

I moved the plug out away from the truck a couple inches, took some of the grease out of it and then when I put the two halfs together I then ziptied the plug together so it could not come apart until I wanted it too. I also loosly zip tied the plow side harness away from the light tower(where the hose goes into the left side ram) and zip tied the two caps from the truckside harness and plowside harness together and zip tied those to the light tower. This made everything neat, free to move, but still not able to get in trouble. I heard one guy had his wire get pinched under the light tower and cut it off. He was done.

Knock in wood, some head scratching and basic trouble shooting fixed multiple problems.

Another thing I saw work while trouble shooting a blizzard was installing a western coil of similar size on the blizzard. All they had to do was crimp on two female electrical connectors on the blizzard wires and hook to the wires to the western coil and it worked perfect.

Dan

6. Grant01

Grant01 Junior Member

I couldn't take the light tower off because the plow frame comes up tight to the light tower and wedges it. Is there a way to adjust the high level limit?

Anyway, the plow seems to be functioning properly. I cleaned excess grease out of the plug. I also took the controller apart and found that the insulation was worn off some of the wires in there. It seemed odd that there would be worn wires in there. I am not sure which of the two issues was causing my problems, but everything seems ok.

Hopefully I'll make it through the next storm without problems.

Thanks for the help guys