1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 6.0 fan clutch

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 04whistler, Dec 18, 2009.

1. 04whistler

04whistler Junior Member
    from Alaska

I want my fan clutch to kick in sooner. Right now it waits until my temps get up into the 210 range. I am running a 9'2" v xt and it heats up quick then cools down and repeats...

2. 04whistler

04whistler Junior Member
    from Alaska

Does anyone know how to change the temp the fan kicks in at?

3. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Change the fan clutch it self. do you have the plow prep clutch on it?

4. 04whistler

04whistler Junior Member
    from Alaska

Do you know where I can get a different fan clutch? I don't know if it has the plow prep clutch...

5. Green Grass

does the truck have plow prep? I got mine from the ford dealer and they are a nightmare to install. Ford had problems with the original fan clutches on the truck even the plow prep clutches. They would not move enough air and the truck would run warm or even overheat.

6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Hope I don't have the same problem with my 2010, no plow prep but haven't plowed with it yet either.

7. Green Grass

I have an 2009 now and i have plow prep but i drove the truck this summer with the plow on to move to different storage spot and never had any problems. just make sure you put your winter cover on before you plow in the snow

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

What winter cover ??

9. 04whistler

04whistler Junior Member
    from Alaska

the oil and coolant temp get up to around 210 then cool down to 195 or 200. is that ok? Or is that too hot?

10. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I have a 2007 F450 and it had the same problem. With the plow on and drives longer than 15 miles it would overheat. Put a new fan clutch on and you should be good to go. Not a cheap fix but worth it in the long run

11. Green Grass

Black grill cover. comes with the truck in a black bag usually under the rear seat or behind the rear seat. you have to install this cover or in deep snow the air filter will get packed with snow and freeze. This only applies to Diesel trucks

12. Green Grass

The truck should run in the 200 mark.

13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

No winter cover in my truck, I got it from Florida, had it shipped up.. Guess I'm screwed..:realmad:

14. Green Grass

is your truck a diesel?

15. plow jockey

plow jockey Junior Member

i must have got jipped 2 i orderd mine new in 04 superduty ps (piece of sh###t) and i didnt get a cover either and mine came from mo.

16. Green Grass

only on the new body style so 2008-current

17. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

My truck is a V-10. Guess I don't need it....another thing I don't have to worry about anymore........:laughing:

The sh*t you have to do with diesels, ya know I really had'nt thought about it to much until I sold mine.

18. quick kutz

quick kutz Junior Member

heavy duty fan clutch