1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 5spd Manual-HD?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by POWERBAND, Oct 16, 2003.

1. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

I believe the 2004 4.3 V6 and the 4800 V8 manual trans. 4x4 1/2 tons are equipped with non "HD" 5 spd . Anyone know which Tranny/Xfer case this is or is derived from.
    Also, I think that the "plow prep" package isn't available on standard tranny trucks. Anyone shed some light on the durability of the non-HD trannys especially for plowing.

Please no anecdotal statements on auto vs standard . I never learned to drive an automatic and probably never will.

:cool: P.Band

2. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

Silverados that are equipped with the 4.3 V6 and 4.8 V8 come standard with the NV3500 5 spd. I have one in my 2002 K1500 with the 4.3 and it does well pulling a 6 1/2 x 10 lawnmower trailer. Not long ago, I asked wyldman some questions about the NV3500, and he said he really hasn't seen any problems with them. He did say that the clutches tend to be a bit weak. I can see where he is coming from, because on certain days I will get some pretty noticeable clutch shudder in my truck. It usually happens when I first start driving it in the morning, especially on damp mornings. Some days it does not do it at all. I believe the transfer case is the NV261, but I am not 100% sure on this. Hope this helps.