1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004.5 dodge ram 4x4 3500 SRW quad cab, clearance?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Journier, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Journier

Journier Junior Member

hi guys, i got a 3500 dodge ram 4x4 5.9 cummins diesel and the ultramount bracket from western, seems to hang close to the ground....

and by close i mean 6-7 inches of clearance between the ground and itself...

This is before i even mounted the plow on it..

Is this a problem? the western book said to measure from the ultramount receivers and the ground then go by that measurement and put together the ultramount bracket piece "the piece that connects to the plow itself" the number i got was 16 inches, so i constructed it to the specifications of the 16-17 inch diagram shown in the western installation manual. Did i do this correctly?

Is this a problem though? I thought my 3500 4x4 would have the brackets higher than 7 inches... Im scared about when i go to mount my 7.5 western plow how much more im going to sink
  2. Journier

Journier Junior Member

noone has any info at all?
  3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have a 2500 and when i lift my plow I get a fair bit of squat in the front end. The 8'6" plow + diesel engine is fairly heavy. I'm thinking of getting timbrens or something to compensate.
  4. Journier

Journier Junior Member

thanks for the reply buddy.

im thinking the truck just needs a leveling kit possibly.. because the springs are very strong or they better be with that heavy cummins :)
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You have a HEAVY engine in the truck- the springs are as strong as they can be but the engine really takes a toll when you start adding another 1000lbs plow. All diesel's have this problem- some more than others, and quad cabs even more so because the truck itself has more weight on the front axle than a std cab.

Add a set of Timbrins as the best low cost leveler- a spring leveling kit is more $$ and doesn;t hold any extra plow weight.