1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 5.4 auto trans?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by FordFisherman, Dec 26, 2007.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

What is the model # of the 4sp auto trans that is mated to the 5.4?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You didn't say whether it's a F150 or a Super Duty but...

F150 should be a 4R75 and if it's a Super Duty it should be a 4R100.

3. FordFisherman

from 06611

Its an F350SD. Anybody have trouble with these trannys?

4. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

The 4r100 isnt a terrible transmission, god knows Ford has come out with worse. Why whats the problem

5. FordFisherman

from 06611

After hauling the boat this fall, tranny started to shift strange; was holding gears too long and banging when shifting. Problem seems to have corrected itself. Possibly the computer adjusting to the weight of the boat? Took about 2 weeks to return to normal. Changed the fluid at 40K now has 68K.

6. KATTRANSPORT

Whats year truck ?

7. FordFisherman

from 06611

2004 F350 4x4 9' Utility body

8. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Yikes!! My tranny has been fantastic so far, no problems. Same year, but I have a 250. Keep us posted as to what happens, I'd like to know.

9. KATTRANSPORT

In 04 im assuming you have the torqueshift? With the tow/haul mode? If so they have a learning strategy so you might be right with the boat theory. My 03 had a mind of its own as well so it might be normal

10. FordFisherman

from 06611

Only have the overdrive off button on the gear selector. How do you know if its a torqeshift?

11. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I dont think the 04 gassers had the torqueshift, They started putting them in the gassers in 05 I believe.

12. niv

niv Member
    from midwest

Check with your local dealer, 06 f-250 v-10 100k started shifting funny, took it to the dealer $65.00 they flashed the computer and it runs like a new one. most garages or mechanics dont have the proper equiptlment.