1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 2500hd Problem!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rcpd34, Jan 22, 2004.

1. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

My 2004 2500HD is about 3 weeks old. It has about 320 miles on it and has the 6000 engine. I use the dash mounted switch that comes with the VYU snow plow prep package to run the plow lights. (Switch back/forth between plow/truck lights.) Problem with that is if you forget and leave it on for a coupla days w/o using truck, it kills the battery. Well I killed the battery and jumped started it. Truck immediately went into "Reduced Engine Power" mode. Ran like ****. Acted like 2 plug wires were off. I limped it to the dealer. Would only go 7 mph up hill and 25 mph max! Dealer was great and immediately looked at it and determined it was an accelerator something-or-other in the Throttle body. They must now order a whole new throttle body! Since I bought this truck to push snow, they are overnighting the part so I can have it done tomorrow as we are expecting snow this weekend. Anyone ever hear of this problem before?
  2. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

Never heard of that...What you need is to run the wires for your plow lights to a separate switch. That dash mounted switch is for an aux roof lamp, i.e. lightbar, strobe, or beacon light. It isn't designed to switch between your regular and plow lights. If you do this, you shouldn't have that problem again. Otherwise, you might be going back to the dealer. Hope this helps! Good luck to ya.:D
  3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

RC.........I use my switch for a roof beacon. I am pretty sure
    the switch is not hot when ignition is turned off !
    My beacon shuts off when ignition is shut off.........

My plow lights are hooked directly to the headlights .
    The VYU equipped GM trucks have extra leads off all headlights,
    turn signals etc.........Some plow makers have special made
    harnesses (fisher/western) that just plug in to GM trucks.
    So no cutting and cobbing of factory wires..............

Check out and print this GM link for 99 and up VYU equipped trucks. Lots of info. ............geo

4. Favatts

Favatts Member
    from CNY

I have a 2004 Chevy 2500HD and I have the switch hooked up to my roof light. My light will stay on if the truck is turned off.............Favatts
  5. sonjaab

FAV..........Thats funny yours is hot all the time!
    But it is a 04 tho....Mine is a 01....hmmmmmm

Maybe GM changed the set up?.........geo
  6. acornish

acornish Senior Member

yea seen that one newer then 03 all those switches stay hot--pain in the a** --if it kills the batt- make sure u put neg cable on the frame or u blow out the fuel idle seloniod--- I think around 540 bucks my buddy did the same thing mentioned earlier took two weeks to get
  7. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Mine remains hot if the truck is off too.
  8. sonjaab

MATT.....Thats funny yours is hot....Hmmmmm

Over at the "other place" a couple of guys with 03-04s
    are having battery drain problems associated with the
    aux. light button.

There was a older thread here that the power wire to the
    aux. switch was missing from the factory on some 03-04s.