1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 2500 silverado Questions!?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by M & MD Lawn, Dec 5, 2011.

1. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Its getting time to get a second truck and I am looking at 04-06 silverados, crew cab diesel or Gas, I LOVE this body style. I am staying in the Chevy family as I love my current GMC.... and eveyone knows chevy is the way to go lol

However I found a 2004 Silverado, diesel, crew cab, long bed, 114,000 miles

My question is, are there any known problems with this year? I believe I read that this year diesel had some injector problems, but there were two engines one had the problem one didn't. Just looking for you guys opinion, I know a few on here own them and I know a lot of you have great knowledge on not only this truck but many...

Just looking to pick some brains and get some real life info

Thanks Guys!,

Paul

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That will be great truck for towing trailers, not so much for plowing driveways. It would be OK for plowing roads and lots, at least for backup duty. But I'll take the 10" wheelbase hit for the long bed any day.

3. M & MD Lawn

THAT was my concern and I knew that... I have my current truck that could do tight lots, this one could work the larger commercial and roads...I am concerned about the length but i adapt well...My landscape trailer is 16ft and I am thinking of upgrading to a 18-20..makes for a long rig lol

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I plowed for four years with a 97 GMC ECLB. Had an XV on front and a Polycaster in back BEHIND the crossover tool box. Worked well once I got used to it. Did some tight spots too. Sometimes it just takes an extra back and forth to get turned around. You'll want very good lighting to the rear.

5. M & MD Lawn

I have been driving this truck since 13 I am pretty good with the truck, just have to make adjustments since the plow is hanging on the front end lol.. That is my next step for my truck, I need lights in the rear, I have nothing now

6. M & MD Lawn

Any others???

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Early or late '04? I believe '04 was the year GM transitioned from the older LB7 (known for injector failures, but also had no emissions cr@p on them Thumbs Up), to the LLY (not so many injector issues, but they were known for overheating issues, head gaskets I believe, and of course all the fun and games that come along with the EGR and CAT for emissions).

I'm not an expert, but I researched a LOT before I bought my '06 LBZ duramax, and this was what I found to be the case.

If you can, and budget allows, try to find an '06 or early '07 with the LBZ Duramax... many would argue this is the best of the duramax diesel engines, far less emissions stuff than those on today's trucks, but also came with the 6 speed Allison tranny, stronger engine (more power/torque), and the fewest issues...

Can't beat a Dmax though.... good choice! :salute:

8. M & MD Lawn

Im not sure, thats why i posted I had known about some injector issues but didnt know what motor it was and year. I WANT a 06 BUT the budget cap is around 15,000 and I'm discovering I will have to be a hell of a negotiator to get one lol, I have found a few but I really dont want the mileage over 150,000 on the diesel I need to get my money back out of it lol

9. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I love my LB7. I have only had it about 3-4 months, still love it :D My dad has a 04 LB7 crew cab short box with about 170K miles on it. He bought the truck with around 60K. He has had no problems with the injectors so far. I think some of the issues on the injectors are people not changing the fuel filters enough. We have been changing my dads fuel filter every oil change since we got it. Another thing is not all the injectors go bad. You don't have to change all of them. The reason they change all of them is because it takes a lot of time to get to the injectors. If you have to pay someone to do it it is more cost effective to just change all of them at once instead of doing one now and then maybe another in 3 months. I would buy another one. Another thing is I would not buy one that has had any tuner on it unless the truck was cheap. Happy truck hunting.

10. M & MD Lawn

I want a 06..do your recommend not buying a duramax period with a tune or just the LB7, I have been looking ranging from years 2002 - 06/07, I REALLY want a 06, I hear that was a great year and they look nice lol

11. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

Period. When it comes to trucks that have had tuners it's alot harder to tell the history of the truck. If it hasn't been tuned it probably hasnt been beat on AS hard.

Oh yeah, that goes for any diesel. Not just D-max's :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  12. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I am not sure who has put the 06-07 as the best duramax to buy. If you are going to hot rod one then maybe that is the best year. If you are going to work it and drive it everyday then I don't think you can go wrong with any year of the duramax. I personally wouldn't buy any duramax that has had a tuner.

13. White Duramax

White Duramax Junior Member

On a 2004 Duramax the 8th vin number will tell you which engine it has, LB7=1 LLY=2. LB7 is a good engine, just know that you will probably have to put a set of injectors in it someday, parts are about 2k to do them. LLY are also good engines, some do get hot towing heavy in 90+ heat. Changing the intake mouthpiece on the turbo fixes this. I have seen some blow head gaskets, not lots.

14. M & MD Lawn

Just talking around and a little research I am not bias of any year,I just favor the 04-06/07 bodystyle, I have always liked it and I would just prefer the 06 because it wouldnt be as old of a truck since ti was the last year of that body style, besides the early 07's and yes I will be working it, towing in the summer plowing in the winter

15. M & MD Lawn

Thanks thats very helpful, I had been trying to figure out how too.. I was looking a few others they were 06' and 07 and the 8th was a D? Not sure what that means?

16. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

The D vin code means it has the LBZ D-Max.

17. M & MD Lawn

Okie doke thanks, im new to the whole diesel game...still learning lol

18. White Duramax

White Duramax Junior Member

All 06 and classis 07 are LBZ, some early 06's were called LLY engines but they are LBZ's that that are at 310hp iirc vs the 360hp that 90% of them are. 07 new body style to 2010 are all LMM engine which are basically the same as LBZ's but have the DPF exhaust. All Duramax's are good engines to me, some just have quirks.

19. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ive never done anything to my lly, other then a glow plug controller And its never gotten hot towing. You will love a good tuner when u get one as well!