1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 1500 Airbag Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by captfudd, Oct 18, 2005.

1. captfudd

captfudd Member

Was out over the weekend checking things for the upcoming winter and my helper asked how come the air bags dont go off when you are plowing hit something like a curb?

Anyone ever have problems with the airbags going off while plowing?
    And is there a way to disable them while plowing?
  2. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

The air bags aren't going to deploy because you're plow is attached to your frame. Your truck has a "crumple sensor" located somewhere in the front of the vehicle. Probably behind grill or front bumper. Your primary restraint, seat belt, has a motion type sensor that causes the belt to lock up during sudden de-celeration. I always disable my passenger bag when I'm alone. They're not cheap. You can't disable your driver's bag and wouldn't want to. I doubt it would deploy when you have your plow on anyway. Unless of course you were involved in a high speed, front end collision. In that case you'll be gratefull it was there.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Most of the sensors measure deceleration, unless you're going 35-40MPH they shouldn't deploy and if you hit a curb or whatnot going that fast I think the airbags deploying are going to be the last thing on your mind.
  4. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

captfudd - I have an 04 1500. The sensors on for the air bags in the front of the truck are just behind the "crush boxes" on the front of the frame. If you were to get under your truck, and follow the forward boxed sections of the frame (where the tow hooks mount) you will see a yellow sensor on each side. As to disabling them, I did not, and my mount is about 6-9 inches away from this sensor. I am yet to read or hear of someone's air bags going off due to hitting something while plowing, and I've spent WAY too much time on this and other plow related websites. I personally would not worry. Unless you plan on running into curbs at 20mph I wouldn't be too concerned, plus, you could pull out of one of your lots and get smashed by a town truck, would you want your air bag turned off then? If you have a newer GM truck you should have the disable switch in the middle of your dash for the passenger. I always leave mine on. If it goes off during an accident, it goes off, that's why I have insurance.

My $.02.
  5. captfudd

captfudd Member

Thanks for the information ... now all we need is that funny white stuff to be around and we will all be in good shape!
  6. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I always liked them airbags with Jiffy-Pop in them.:dizzy: Gives you something to do until the tow arrives.:help:
  7. markq

markq Member

I talked to GM about this because I wanted to make sure that my airbags wouldnt deploy if I hit something......I was told that they are not active until you go over 14mph. Dont know if thats true....I've heard alot of other things, but that came straight from GM customer service.