1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Ram CTD having issues

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 2003ctd, Mar 22, 2008.

1. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

Ok heres the problem.. My 2003 has been running like crap. My fuel mileage has been cut in half, and its lost alot of its power.. I know I have a fuel issue somewhere. The truck seems to run fine (besides power loss).. But when the high idle kicks on when its cold, it runs like crap, it in a way sounds like it chugging, or missing, kick the idle down sounds fine. And at the same time, my trans has been acting up (struggling to find gears, started at the same time).. Im leaning towards my lift pump being on its way out, what do you guys think? This truck has been maintained 110%, fuel filter gets changed every other oil change etc.. The truck has 135,000 miles on it, and has had a programmer on it since new. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

what engine is???

Gas or diesel?

3. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

5.9 diesel

4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i would say a injector is going bad or the lift pump, do yuo still have the factory lift pump in it? im sure someone has had the same problem on here

5. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

from what ive seen @ work looks like your having a fuel delivery issue, this could be from transfer/injection pump issue or possibly an injector at that mile but we dont see many actual injector issues. do you get your fuel consistantly from the same station (ie high volume dealer truck stop, or on highway station) or did you get a cheepy fill up where the fuel my have been sitting for a while? best bet would be just to havea trusted chrysler dealer take a look and if you dont like them or want them to fix it, it will def be worth your money just to have them diag the actual problem and you can take it to your aftermaket repair shop and give them the info we (the dealer) give you

duffy

6. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

Ive filled up at the same gas station since I've had the truck, but I have tried running the expensive stuff (shell) and it made no difference. When the problem first started it seemed to get better if I ran a fuel additive through it. To date I have not had to replace anything on the motor except the water pump.

7. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

sorry but it soundsl ike your having a fuel delivery issue if your pretty sure the fuel itself wasnt bad. id try not to drive it due to other parts run the risk of being damaged as well. just try to get someone to diagnose it then you can go from there but until then it could be a 5 dollar o ring leaking or a 3500 injection pump. sorry and good luck :salute:

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Take the truck to a shop and have them scan it to see if there are any service codes. It'll cost you $50+ but it's well worth it.

If you're having injector problems your check engine light would be on. I just replaced the lift pump on my truck and the symptoms I experienced were not similar to yours so I think you can rule that out.

Hope you get it figured out...

9. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

What boggles my mind, I thought if any of the pumps were going out I would be getting better gas mileage??? I went from getting 500 plus miles a tank to getting 300.... Im leaning towards a bad injector, Becuase like I said it seems to get a little better when I add injector cleaner to it. Thanks for all the help

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

start small...check the filter

11. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

DBL is right, start at the most obvious place...the fuel filter. Change that and see what happens. When I had an injector failing, my oil pressure would drop considerably at a traffic light and then the truck would run fine once I gave it fuel. You can check the codes yourself by cycling the key three times. If it throws a code, you could probably do a google search and find out what it is. If not, try the guys on DTR (www.dieseltruckresource.com) or Cummins Forum (www.cumminsforum.com) and see what they think. Good luck!

12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, I would say fuel filter first.

13. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I've never heard of that before, where does the code appear?

14. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

why not just get it scanned get me the code and i can get it at work ie i work for chrysler....... or just have a dealer diag it and get it right the first time insted of replacing parts for "suspect " ideas

15. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

Filter has already been changed, I check for codes, and got nothing.. I should have mentioned that its been doing this for about a month, but has progressively gotten worse.

16. BlueRam2500

Camden, the codes appear on the dash where the odometer is. They will only appear after 3 cycles of the key.

17. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

... turns out he needed 2 injectors...

18. BlueRam2500

2003, did I read in your boat picture post that you traded the truck for a new 6.7?

19. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

Not yet, but im thinking about it