1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Ram 3500 think she's getting a plow....

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by LopatLT7495, Jan 7, 2014.

1. LopatLT7495

LopatLT7495 Member

Looking to get some opinions on plows for my truck. I have 3 commercial lots right now and have been getting calls from potential new customers commercial and residential. However my current plow truck 79 Chevy with 7.5' Meyer is not reliable if its not a plow issue it's a truck issue and I have been having to drive around my backhoe ( all 3 accounts are close enough it's not a huge deal ) to get my accounts done. I am getting a little tired of doing my lots with just a regular bucket and having it take so long so I think it's time the duality gets a plow. My question to you guys is what plow would you recommend? I always wanted a Western wideout on the truck but no way I can afford it. I like the idea of a V or adjustable wing plow but not sure if its really worth it since I'm just a small one man operation. I have looked at Sno Way and SnoDogg plows but don't know if they are as reliable or the best bang for your buck. Also thought about a used plow but after looking at the cost of truck side kits I don't know if that's the best way to go either. Sorry for the rambling but I'm just fed up with an unreliable plow truck and just don't know which way to go with a plow for my dodge. Also if it affects anything the truck is 2003 3500 cummins diesel, 6spd manual. Thanks for any advice or opinions.

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher, Boss, Blizzard or Western. Can't go wrong with any of em. You get what you pay for.

3. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

2nd that. I run an 04.5 with a Cummins and a 6speed. I have a 9.2 VXT and I'm very happy. I bought a Boss because of my dealer. If he sold one of the other brands mentioned above, I'd own whichever he sold.

4. LopatLT7495

LopatLT7495 Member

Thanks guys, do you think it's worth is for a V or plow with hydraulic wings VS a regular straight blade. Also I don't like being cheap but money has been tight lately and I can't really afford something like a Western wideout..... That would be nice though.

5. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

You can get alot done with a 9' straight blade western. but by the time you purchase a new straight blade, the cost probably wont be far off from a wideout. maybe you should look into the new prodigy plow from western.

6. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

A manual shift dodge is an awesome plow truck, stone cold reliable with pushing power to spare, maybe a ten foot used blizzard is an option for you, once you use a ten foot blade you wont be going back to anything smaller

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Unless it's a 6.7 with a G56 manual behind it. Then it could be stone cold reliable or stone cold dead in the driveway. :D

8. LopatLT7495

LopatLT7495 Member

Ive been looking at blizzard plows, they seem like a nice plow and i have found them more pleasing price wise vs a wide out or like. Also truck is a 5.9L cummins with roughly 425-450hp to the ground so im not worried about power wesport. Do you guys think new or used would be more cost effective, i know with used i would need wiring harness and truck side and i do not know if the price of a used plow and then needed parts would be to far off from a brand new shiny plow with everything included.

9. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I realize a 6.7 has some issues with the dpf and related parts, we run one of them for five years now with no issues(touch wood) but its got an Allison behind it,but the G56, are there issues with this tranny, I know of it using a sealed bearing for the input shaft, I thought it might be the better between an Nv 56oo and the g56 as it has a higher torque rating , and a better reverse shift pattern,

10. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

No such thing as an Allison with a 6.7. Try again.

11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I'm sure he meant aisin

12. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Its not my truck but im sure he said it was an Allison, its a 98 5 ton sterling, if its an aisin , then that's even better

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If it's a 98 model year it's a 5.9 and most likely has an Allison if it's an automatic. I'd take an Allison over an Aisin.

14. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

cant get anything right here, typo error it is an 2008

15. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

snoway with down pressure!
    if it's a srw, no less than 8'. DRW, must go wider.
    I have a 03 cummins crew long bed auto and just put a 29HD on it. So far it seems really nice. the DP is nice for extra scraping. Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't matter. It does.
    I've been running a snoway for over 20 years on another rig. works very well.
    I'm also running the 9 CU.FT. spreader and after dropping in a pallet of salt in the truck it's a tank.
    Will push anything.

16. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

DP is a very useful tool and a must if you plan on doing any loading docks. Everyone has their own preference but the Snoway brand has done me well and nearly flawless over the last five seasons. This year I have done some welding on the frame and brackets of the blade but I think most of this damage happened when plowing 10" of snow during the last arctic outbreak. Metal and welds become weaker as the temps drop, at -19°C without wind chill is when all the metal damage happened.

Love my Mega V and would not hesitate to buy another.

17. diezelfreak

diezelfreak Member

From what I have heard about the G56 is that it is junk.. they have been known to blow apart just by downshifting/decelerating. .. also ya know in the days of the 12 and 24valve 2nd gen cummins the trucks with slushboxes were detuned over the 5spd nv4500. And same goes with the 3rd gen (03-05) slushomatics vs NV5600. But when they went to the g56 the table turned.... the auto vs junkbox. I currently own a 2nd gen 12valve 3500 with the nv4500 putting 510 dyno proven horse's to the ground and gross 26k here n there and call it bullet proof. I also have a 03 2500 Cummins NV5600 450 horse and I love the 6 spd..

18. diezelfreak

diezelfreak Member

im a big v plow fan. For how versatile they are. If you lived in the heavy snow belt that is what I recommend but with not knowing what your normal accumulation is in NJ its hard to say what plow to recommend.. if your low to moderate and low to mild wind a staight vlade with either side boards or wings would suite you fine. Moderate to high accumulation and mild to high wind. A v plow would be better do to busting open driveways with drift snow.

19. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

If money is tight, get you an ultramount straight blade setup from western to get you by for a year or two. When you have the funds, get the wideout you want and keep the straight blade for a backup or sell it to put the money towards your wideout.

20. LopatLT7495

LopatLT7495 Member

Thanks again for all the help guys. I was talking to a buddy of mine and just asked if he had any plows he wanted to sell. He told me he would sell the plow he had on his 03 cummins dually.... score for me! its a 9.5' Fisher EZ-V and ill be taking the truck side mount off of the truck also. Plow, truck side, and controller for $1100.00 all i need to buy is the truck side wiring harness and of course some plow fluid and a fisher emergency repair kit to keep in my truck. I havent picked the plow up yet but i cant wait to get it and put it on my truck! I dont know about you guys but i think i got a pretty sweet deal on this setup, plow has not been beat to crap either, only slight surface rust that a wire wheel and some paint will take care of.