1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 ram 1500 5.7 litre hemi

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by brian2transam, Nov 24, 2006.

1. brian2transam

brian2transam Junior Member

I just had a new western pro 7foot 6 inch plow installed on my 2003 dodge ram 1500 quad cab . I have never had a problem with truck overheating, but sure enough as soon as I picked up the truck to take it home after the plow was installed the truck was running extreamly hot, needle on the temp. guage almost in red. I had to pull over 4 times on a 30 minute ride back to my house to let truck cool off. what gives??? what is the right way to have plow postioned when in transit? The truck has a heavy duty service group from factory. Why is the truck running so hot and what is the remedy??? please help because i do not want to blow up the motor or hurt truck. should I install a lower temp. thermostat? any help would be appreciated!!!!!

2. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I guess the first questions.

How far was the drive?
    How fast?
    How high did you have the plow?
    Any angle on the plow?

All good starting points.

I always like to leave it as low as possible. I might smack something once in a while, but not often. I always felt that every bit counts in keeping the plow as low as possible for a lengthy trip. An inch more airflow over the plow and into the radiator is a lot.

3. amscapes03

amscapes03 Member

gotta drop the plow........more than likely you have it cranked all the way up, completely blocking any and almost all air to the engine. if your a first timer......take it out and test drive it.........drop it, and angle it to where your comfortable. get out and see how much clearance you have to the ground. if your not a pro you will be in no time. if you take the shoes off it you can drop it a few more inches.......good luck!

4. brian2transam

ram 1500

Thank for the reply. It was about a 30 minute trip at about 55-60 mph. I started out with the plow all the way up and then lowered ti and had it at all diffrent angles.

5. brian2transam

thanks for the reply.

thanks for the reply. This is the first time I am plowing with my truck but I have been plowing for over 10 years with other brands of truck. fords and chevys and i never had this problem plow all the way up and not even a t any angle. maybe because my is a sport model ram and the grill is not as wide. Im not sure but thank you for the advice.
    any other advice is appreciated

6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

The biggest thing, like said above, is getting the plow as low to the ground as possible without smacking concrete. Sometimes angling to help with aerodynamics is not the best because it could cause very little airflow to the radiator. Try it a couple different ways, you should figure it out. Myself, I dont go more than a couple miles out of town with the plow on, just for that fact, and mileage!:rolleyes:

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

my old 1500 had the same problem would shoot right to red in no time, i had to lower it almost all the way down, andturn it a bit, i could find no real solution to the problem, except i know some plow companys make an air duck piece to help dorect the air to the grill, my brothers blizzard has a real problem with it, and we are looking into the air duct

8. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Brian,
    That does not seem correct. Something needs to be checked in the truck itself. Overheating in 10minutes seems way to fast in that new of a truck.

Just my two cents.

9. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Ya but is there a difference between the grill / engine cooling, between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton?

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

well i didnt think so but i drove around all day today with the same plow on my 2500 and it never went over half on the needle

11. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Heating

I have had dodges since the mid 70's. Never had a problem with heating until the newer designs after 93. I have tried everything to make them run cooler at high way 55mph speeds. The problem is in the grill and when they install the frames they remove the air dam at the bottom. What worked for me was to take the dam and cut it so I could get most of it back on with the plow. I also switched to dual electric fans that come on at 165 degrees. I still have to be careful at highway speeds but the problem is not near as bad as what it was. Now if it starts to warm up a bit then you just drop the speed to under 50 for a few miles and the trucks go back to normal. I am running a 95 Dodge 3/4 ton v10 with 9-6 western v, 1996 1500 with a Boss 7-6, and a 2004 Dodge Hemi with a 7-6 Boss.

12. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

Yeah we put 2 12" fans on the front of ours and it help a little, an actual shroud needs to be made for it to work properly. You can feel the air bouncing off the radiator.

Funny story about that one, I took his truck to work one day to adjust the torsion bars and do brakes after we put the plow on. On my way home which is a 45 min drive i took a closer look at the gauge i thought was the temp gauge and turned out to be the oil. I didnt think he would cover an important gauge like the temp. Now i specifically asked him before if the truck ever ran hot and he said no. There was this adorable picture of his girlfried covering the temp gauge as i removed it it was pegged hot. Those poor people behind me must have thought i was crazy as i slammed on the brakes, blasted the heat, and dropped the plow going 45 mph all at the same time. well if the brakes werent broken in they sure were after that. Common sense goes a long way, needless to say there are no more pictures on his dash. :dizzy:

13. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

western air deflector

Hello, years ago I had a western uni mount and had the same problem, There are air deflectors out there, but I made my own with clear plexy1/4'' or 3/8'' apx. 12''X8'' and bolt it to the top of your lift arm and that should force air down when you have plow in the up position providing that your lift arm is higher than the top of your plow.

Hope this helps you

14. brian2transam

Hello,
    when you speak of the air damn are you talking ablut the flat black plastic peice that comes off the bootom of radiator support and connects to the front bumber frame?