1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 ram 1500 4 wheel drive noise.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Kuzanut, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Hey guys, used my truck at a buddies last week and needed to use the 4 wd to bget around his house to pick up debris. ran out of time that day to get to the dump so i left the truck onsite. I made sure to take it out of 4wd before I drove back onto pavement. Friday I started the truck up and drove out of the drive way and I hear a grinding sound coming from the front end. Tired going back and forth multiple times in 2wd, 4wd hi and low (in a straight line). I looked under the truck and everything seemed intact. Not sure whats wrong i parked the truck. Does anyone have an idea as to what might be wrong?

2. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Anybody??????

3. sportfury70

sportfury70 Junior Member

My 2500 was doing that last week. It ended up being the front driveshaft c.v joint was bad. You will more than likely need to remove it at transfer case and check for binding. Mine appeared fine from the outside. Everything seemed tight. It was making the most terrible sound! Truck would vibrate and shake violently. Thought it was the transfer case.