1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 powerstroke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowman79, Apr 7, 2009.

1. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

Would you go with a 2003 powerstroke diesel with 150k miles for less then 10k comes with a western plow. Truck is clean, has all service records etc. New tires.

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

7.3 or 6.0?

3. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

early 2003 7.3 . . . . . .yes, absolutely. Late 2003. . . .. 6.0, absolutely not.

4. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

6.0l engine. Its between this truck and a 2002 Dodge ram 2500 cummins.

5. BigDave12768

Get the cummins. That 03 will be a hard sell always with the 6.0

6. Chase88

Chase88 Senior Member

The 6.0 isn't a bad motor. I have an 03 with an 6.0 (got it brand new in 03) in it. Haven't had any problems with it. Keep the oil changed and maintain it.

www.powerstrokehelp.com good site.

7. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I wouldnt be afraid of a 03-04 6.0 if the history came back clean on it. The ford truck will hold up alot better than the dodge truck. The cummins is sweet though.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a good deal. Anyone that tells you to stray away from a 6.0 with HIGHER miles is obviously not educated very much on their issues. Problems occoured at 10k, 20k, 30k etc. If it made it to 150k, it was either fixed right or just not prone to problems. Being an 03, I'd say it was fixed. I like the 6.0's myself. Not a big Ford fan at all, but the 6.0's get a bad rap.

9. BigDave12768

LMAO Never!!! The early Tourqe Shift had issues with the 6.0 PSD. The motor has more issue than a Cadilac 4100. Why dont you go look at some old Dodges and Fords and look at all the issues of the old 7.3's compared to the Dodges. Ford just has brand loyalty. Other than that there Diesel trucks are #3 behind Dodge and Chevy

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What issues

The 7.3 is as bullet proof as it gets

And that is NOT JMO

11. BigDave12768

If it made it??? sounds like you are surprised it got there. The 6.0 are only rated for about 200k miles. I just went on Ebay and Searched Dodges and Fords by mileage. Newer Dodges 2003's had 350k on them only thing close to that in the Fords was the 7.3. 99% of Fords first page was the 7.3's with high mileage. Sorry but if you buy a 6.0 you will never get back anything for it. The motor and tranny had too many issues. The Dodge on the other hand will hold value since they are cheaper and better trucks

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Big Dave, I really hate to argue with you on every thread, and I reeeaaaallly hate sticking up for Ford, BUT I honestly think you need to do some more researching before you continue bashing the 6.0L PSD. Agreed on the trans's, agreed on 6.0 issues in general, but there's good points too. MOST problems occour when everybody and their brother thinks they own a race car rather than a work truck. Also, the engines issues are all top end. Head gaskets due to stretched bolts, turbo's, oil cooler lines, etc. Problems that either were caused by abuse, or happened prematurely and were fixed. Early models had repeated problems b/c they didn't realize it was a re-occuring problem. Myself and a buddie bought 2 last year....he since decided to keep them. 1 has around 150k and the other 220k. I've seen ones on ebay with 360k, etc... I did history reports on both trucks to find out they had a bad history, early....10k, 30k, etc.... A bad history is a good thing IMHO. Meaning if they made it 50-100k out of warranty, they were obviously fixed right.

I'd take a 6.0L over a 7.3L any day. 7.3's are pigs. And for Cummins, no one can argue that their not good engines. It's b/c they're proven. IMHO, they finally have some good competition with GM over the last 7-8 years, but they rarely get credit for it. I just personally don't like Dodge trucks. I buy and sell a lot of stuff. It seems every Dodge I come across is cheap and half falling apart. I'm talking 94-02's of course. I've never owned any newer Dodges.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  13. BigDave12768

Oil pan? 2k to fix
    Turbos go at 100k
    E4OD last 100k tops
    Go look, they are not bullet proof at all. I just shopped for one. They all had the same issues.

On a side note maybe the oil pan is a regional thing where the roads get salted. So maybe if you found one down south it would be ok

14. cretebaby

"They all had the same issues."

Every single one of them ?

And a cummins never has a problem? Just want to make sure we are clear on that

15. BigDave12768

Yes a few can make it up high. But in general it wasnt a great motor.. And you right people thought they had a race car. This is one the reasons stock Dodges held up with the 48re. They slip all that power so you dont blow up tranny. Why is Ford sueing Navistar if te motor was so great? why is Ford cutting ties with Navistar.

Too be fair to Navistar I bet that motor would have been great if Ford didnt turn it up to over 300hp. I bet if they left it at 250hp(I think) like Navistar built it to be. It would going past 300k without any issues. And it was rumored that they reflashed alot of them to lower specs. People brought trucks in for service and they woud reflash it to lower specs to make more more durable.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yes IF it made it. No surprise there. They either did or didn't. 50% chance across the board. That's a given. They either had problems, or they didn't. If they didn't they're still running....if they did, they're running too. Bear in mind I'm referring to HIGHER milage trucks. I'd rather buy one with 200k than 50k.

And for your 200k "fact". Let's see where Ford said that. You listen to all the claims from bias brand owners. It's on the internet, it must be the Gospel!! Let me guess Cummins is rated for 1 mil, and Dmax 150k? Bunch of psycic's here! :D

Aside from myself, I've NEVER seen anyone here give credit where credit is due if it's not their brand of choice.

17. BigDave12768

Honestly Yes. All the oil pans were rotting.

Cummins only had a bad run of blocks. #53. Keep in mind I was looking at 94-98's. Yes I know all about the 100k pumps on the 98.5. But all the Dodges I looked at.with doors rotting off had solid motors. I took the intake tube off them and checked turbo for play. The cummins was the better motor. And all the trucks I looked at Dodge and Ford had the same shelf life on tranny 100k miles.

18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Ford is cutting ties due to warranty issues. They (Navi) didn't stand behind the problems and Ford stepped up, plain and simple.

You talk like 6.0's are obsolete, in past tense. Like the junk yards are full of them. High miles can be credited to BOTTOM ends. I have never heard of a bottom end falling out of one myself. Especially stock.

19. cretebaby

You cant go look at used trucks for 3 months and come up with the conclusion that the oil pans are rotting of every 7.3 built of that they all need turbos at a 100k:dizzy:

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It's funny, you NEVER hear anything about Dmaxes in these discussions. I know the topic this time was Ford/Dodge but still. I always mention it, and no one says anything. Is it b/c no one knows anything about them, is is b/c they know better to argue against them? Wierd.

I'll jump in and defend GM's while we're at it. My 3 in my sig have a combined total of almost 3/4 of a million miles.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009