1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 hd tailgate handle issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jvm81, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

First the battery. Then a starter. Now today the handle busted on the tailgate. Looks like the clips or so just busted off. Can I order or replace just the handle or does the tailgate need to come apart in order to replace the handle.
  2. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

the trim piece pops off around the handle couple of bolts in the gate hold the handle, a clip either side of handle to the rods then you have it in your hands. the trick with a chevy is using lots of WD-40 on everything. most important tailgate handle and extended cab bottom latches
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

get the trim piece as well,,,,3 15mm inside the tailgate, and 2 clips for the rods. i usually fluid film everything when putting back together. also look at the hinges on the bottom,,,they rust out pretty good when your not looking
  4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm not sure about your year. But I know '07+ you can swap the standard handle to a lockable w/key one. Which is nice if you have a tonneau cover.
  5. Conmancounty

Conmancounty Member

i have the handle off of my old 2000 you can have for 5.00 plus shipping.
  6. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

That would be great. I'll take. Pm me if you can. Thanks
  7. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

+1 for lots of Fluid Film on the tail gate handle. hinges, bolt heads, any moving part. The rear of my truck gets caked with salt.