1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 gmc Unimount wanted

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by Slick03Max, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Slick03Max

Slick03Max Junior Member

Looking for a complete truck side Unimount for my 03 gmc,,,or possibly a ultra-uni conversion mount!

2. Timbaworks

Timbaworks Junior Member

I have the wire harness for that truck.. I posted a thread yesterday

3. Slick03Max

Slick03Max Junior Member

Thanks for the reply,,,I may possibly need a harness,,,got one with the plow I bought,,but not sure what exactly it is,,,,I messed up with my plow purchase and bought it without doing my homework,,,,I'll let you know about the harness when I'm done scratching my head and get this pig figured out!!! Thanks!!!

4. Timbaworks

Timbaworks Junior Member

That is exactly what I did!! Purchased a second hand plow without doing the research.. that is why I have the harness... both sides for sale. I had to buy the mount and harness new and then I realized it was a 9pin on the bronco so I then had to buy the plow side wiring too!!! The GMC one is far more complicated than the Ford I use. But no matter about all the relays and the solenoid in between.. basically there is the white six pin plug in the cab... then off to the battery for power and then the back of the headlights... I was always scared of installing the harness until I actually did one. Good luck with it all. I will do a package deal if you need both sides. Tim

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  5. Timbaworks

Timbaworks Junior Member

One more thought... If you have a the wiring harness for an '03 Ford superduty I would swap... Check for a tag on the one you have for a part number

6. Slick03Max

Slick03Max Junior Member

Checked out the harness,,,only tag I could find on it was near one of the headlight terminal ends,,
    Could read 6154,,,then looks like there may be one or two more numbers after it,,but theyre rubbed off!!!
    The tag also had a date of October 02 on it!!!

7. Timbaworks

Timbaworks Junior Member

OK, glad I asked about that... Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the GMC '03 truck requires a 12pin.... The Ford F350 a 9pin. I found the part number 61545 and it is for the following vehicles:

Western 61545 2B/2D light and control harness kit 9pin.
    Used on Unimount and early Ultramount plows.
    1980-2004 Ford F150, F250, F350, F450, F550
    1981-2000 Chevy/GMC Dual Rec Halogen
    1972-1983 Dodge

So that would suit my truck ('03 F350) and I am sure my 12pin Chevy/GMC would suit yours. I wish I had a mount for you!!! Fabricate with what you have.. sometimes cheaper than buying a new one. I have had to do it with good results. Let me know what you want to do.... Tim

8. Slick03Max

Slick03Max Junior Member

Well,,im scratching my head now,,,,the harness I have is a 12 pin unit,,would it be different because its a V plow???
    I had a schematic of the wiring harness,,,and could barely make heads or tails with what the schmatic said the wiring should be,,,and,,what color the wiring on the harness actually is!!!
    I did get the plow moving,,left,,right etc,,,only function I couldn;t get it to do was "lower",,maybe the controller!!!

9. Timbaworks

Timbaworks Junior Member

Yep.. well the harness I have and need is for a straight blade.. the one I have won't work!!! I believe the thing that makes the harness truck specific is really the light connections/controllers for the truck... everything else is just power supply (standard) and plow control (all internal). So, if the plugs on the harness are compatable with your headlight plugs on your truck you are good to go...(I think).. If not.... probably need to buy a truck specific harness for a V plow.. very different. I would clean out the 12pin plug really well and carefully spread the pins for a good connection to get the 'lower' to work first. Good luck.