1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 GMC Sierra coolant system

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by WCI, Apr 14, 2006.

1. WCI

WCI Junior Member

2003 GMC Sierra coolant system
    With the plow on the truck and the temperature above 26 degrees it overheats.
    I bought the truck in the fall of 02 and through the winter of 02/03 I had no problem.
    In the winter of 03/04 it overheated one time, 04/05 it overheated every time I was out.
    It will overheat and then return to normal until the next time I am out. Never overheats more than one time per run. Any idea what the problem is? Talking with the dealer, they say they do not know of any known problems.

2. WCI

WCI Junior Member

Wci

1500 HD, Snow plow prep, trailer tow and V-8

3. Sounds like the infamous fan clutch issue

WCI,
    Do a search on the "fan clutch" here on the forum. You will find several threads that discuss that issue at length. I'm not sure if it applies to your 1500 but it's a big issue with the 2500's.

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

It may apply, but the TSB it self is for the 2500HD/3500 with the 6.0L engine. The way he describes it(over heats one time when it is out) is sounds like a stuck thermostat.

5. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

I would check the fan clutch and the thermostat. My 2000 silverado 1/2 ton overheated on me I the fix was the fan clutch.

JMO

RYAN

6. durphman

durphman Junior Member
    from Eastern

I have the same truck with no problems maybe thermostat or wiring?. What engine is it 4.8, 5.3 6.0