1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 GMC Sierra coolant system

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by WCI, Apr 14, 2006.

1. WCI

WCI Junior Member

2003 GMC Sierra coolant system
    With the plow on the truck and the temperature above 26 degrees it overheats.
    I bought the truck in the fall of 02 and through the winter of 02/03 I had no problem.
    In the winter of 03/04 it overheated one time, 04/05 it overheated every time I was out.
    It will overheat and then return to normal until the next time I am out. Never overheats more than one time per run. Any idea what the problem is? Talking with the dealer, they say they do not know of any known problems.

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

1500, 2500, 2500HD, 3500???

Engine size/type???

need more info...

3. WCI

WCI Junior Member

Wci

1500 HD, Snow plow prep, trailer tow and V-8

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

has it had a coolent change yet?

Sounds like a possible sticking t-stat. I would recomend changing it and the coolent. as first steps. Also have the system pressure tested.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

There is a post on your problem somewhere here.
    The fan clutch had one of those "secret recall / service bulletins".
    They replace the fan clutch and all is good.

6. JMLSNOW

JMLSNOW Junior Member
    from ohio

Coolant system /over heating Problem

Check with your dealership, they changed the clutch fan on all of our trucks. There was two fans they made and we had to go to the revised fan. That was the problem and they did it under warranty for us on our 2003 truck and 2004 dump truck.