1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 gm 8.1 gauges

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RCsLawncare, Dec 30, 2009.

1. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Bought a new gauge cluster less than a year ago,and they worked up until now, the oil pressure gauge reads zero. I know its either the gauge or sending unit as the truck had oil in it and runs fine. The gauge moves from a dead resting point to the zero pounds mark when the ignition is on. Does anyone know if its the sending unit? Didn't know if it was common or not?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not too common to lose an oil sender unit on an 8.1 but obviously like anything else electrical it can happen. Easy enough to pull the wire off and check it. Simply pull the connector off with the ignition in the run position, the gauge should then go to the extreme right of the range. If it does then the wire and gauge are fine. Must be the sender.

3. pgw0321321

pgw0321321 Junior Member
    from Indiana

My oil Gage quit twice on an 04 5500 series with the 8.1.
    The first time was two months after buying it new off the lot, then again about six months ago.
    Both times the dealer had the truck for a week, they had to send the cluster out for repair, so not to mess with the mileage.

4. RCsLawncare

B&B, I appreciate the response. Where are you talking about pulling the wire off of? the sending unit? I don't know where it is. I have taken out the cluster before, so if I need to do that, that is not a problem!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct you need to disconnect it at the sender. It will have a weather sealed connector with three wires in it. A black, a gray, and a tan/white. Unplug the connector from the sensor and watch the gauge with the ignition on. When you disconnect it the gauge should go to the extreme right of its sweep. Now take a paper clip or a small jumper wire and ground the tan/white. If the gauge now goes to the extreme left then the gauge and wiring are deemed good, it's the sender thats failed.

The sender is located on the top of the engine block right behind the intake manifold. It's a little tough to access so some investigation via hands and fingers are in order. Will be the only thing there with the wire colors mentioned all in the same connector plug.

6. RCsLawncare

I will try that tomorrow! I will let you know what happens with this! Thanks B&B!