1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 gauges

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RCsLawncare, Dec 20, 2008.

1. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

has any body had there gauges go out. i have a 03 with the 8.1 gas and the gauges wont work. The computer screen at the bottom and all warning lights still function, just the gauges are messed up. Any ideas, just don't want to go to the dealer and spend $600 on a new cluster and reprogramming! Thanks!
  2. kid6725

kid6725 Junior Member

My cluster went out on my 03 duramax at about 25000 miles in i think 06 but i cant remember if the computer screen still worked... it was a common problem with the 03's or so ive heard anyway.. the dealer replaced mine under warranty and i dont know of a fix other than getting it replaced...
  3. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I lost just the speedometer on my 04'. Dealer said it was a known problem. Took almost a week to get the truck back. Aparrently they rebuild the cluster.
  4. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

in my 03 the gauges were broken when i bought it so i made the guy replace the cluster, i think it was like 250 or something close to that range
  5. cbriggs.pm

cbriggs.pm Junior Member

pretty common truck, try a local junkyard. probably take one out for 50 bucks and have it installed yourself that afternoon
  6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

There might be a slight odometer discrepency.xysport
  7. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

If you buy a cluster out of another truck you might have to get the computer programmed to notice the new cluster, Make sure you have the vin # of the doner cluster truck. I had a 91 Chevy truck that had been under water, when I put a different cluster in it it would not start, it started with the original cluster. Go to car-parts .com and you might find one, that is something that can be shipped
  8. brad96z28

There are many rebuilders that will rebuild the one u have its the cheapest way to go.
  9. dsc

dsc Junior Member

The gage cluster uses a Switec stepper motor (x c5 168) to control the needle movement. I'm 90% sure that all of the gages use the same part no. stepper motor for movement. If you can solder a component to a pcb board it is an easy fix to do yourself. I've purchased the stepper motors and replaced mine since GM wouldn't warrant the repair (over 70k miles). Depending on the age & hours of your vehicle you may want to replace the lamps that illuminate the cluster at night. Another one of GM's bright ideas!
  10. brad96z28

Yep about 8 bucks for a stepper motor. But I doubt every stepper motor went bad at once.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  11. ibew697

ibew697 Junior Member

i know this response is a little late but you might want to check with your local dealership regarding this issue. I believe GM had a recall on the 03 silverado/sierra instrument clusters, and they were willing to repair them free of charge if your mileage was below 75,000 miles. I just set up an appointment today to have my third or fourth instrument cluster installed. In Feb. 08 they replaced the gauges in my 03 GMC 2500HD because the fuel gauge needle pointed straight down. At that point i had 80,000 miles but i was able to talk them into it. And now in Jan. 09 I have 86,000 miles and my oil pressure gauge is pegged all the way to right. This time they said it would be repaired because of their 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on all work performed...hope this helps...:)
  12. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

hi i have a 03 gmc with the oil gauge not working sometime, i know its the gauge & couldnt buy a stepper motor from the dealer, called the people that rebuild clusters they wont sell one either where can i buy just the motors for the gauges?
  13. gib

gib Junior Member
    from omaha

GM is covering the repair if the truck if your truck is less than 7 years old or has less than 70000 miles on it. I just had my 03 fixed at no charge.
  14. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

162000 miles dout if they will cover it
  15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

a week. I got a letter the day after my cluster went hay wire in my 04 about a recall on them. I called up the dealership and told them about it. I took the truck in and they got some number off it and called me 3 days later with the new part. one hour to install the new cluster and I was on my way. I did this about 6 months ago, and the truck was not under warranty anymore. I cant believe they had it for a week to rebuild the cluster. simple fix for me.
  16. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

E bay - offers to let you send your cluster to them and they will give you a re-furbished one for $ 200 with your mileage on it, plus you get the Trans temp gauge as well. Cluster is easy to take out & put in
  17. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

hi i got a handle on it now, i had a doner cluster with a bad speedo so i un-soldered the stepper for the oil gauge & put it in mine.seems to be working fine right now. most of the motors have the same part # just need a good pair of glasses to do the soldering thanks, jeff