1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Ford F350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Kollerman, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

I was visiting relatives this weekend for Christmas and while I was driving home, a Ford that was for sale caught my eye. I am normally not a Ford guy at all, so I thought I would quick come home and ask some of the experts a few questions.

When I stopped to talk to the guy, nobody was home, but I was able to find the guys Craigslist ad about the truck. Here is what it says:

2003 F350 4X4 Super Duty Lariat with a 2006 Boss Poly V Plow. 6.0 desiel, Ext cab, Auto, 100,000 miles, newer tires, 2 new batterys, matching topper, no rust, no accidents. Asking $18,000 OBO.

Now, from what I could tell, the truck is super clean. I couldn't find a spot of rust on the thing and even the frame and everything looked really good. I tried to call him tonight, but he was not home again. I have to put a call into him tomorrow morning to ask a few more questions.

But now for the little that I do know about the Ford's...... I know that early in the 6.0 diesel lifetime, they had a lot of problems with this engine. I am pretty sure that 2003 was the first year they came out with the 6.0 engine, so should this be concerning to me? If so, what issues am I supposed to ask the guy about (basically, what caused all the problems)?. I tried to do some research on this, but just got flooded with websites and whatnot to look at. TOO much info out there and am looking for a summary from the experts on here.

My cousin has a 2005 Ford exactly like this one and he loves it. Hangs an 8.2V plow off the front as well and hasn't had one issue at all. He plows all winter and pulls his 32ft travel trailer around all summer like it was nothing. That is also a thing that is appealing to me. I have a 28ft travel trailer that I will be pulling this year and could really use the diesel power to do it. I would be helping my cousin plow during the winter as well on an "as needed" basis.

How about the price? Is the $18,000 the guy is asking reasonable?

Thanks in advance guys. I have also attached the pictures from his ad.

Jeremy

Ford.jpg

Ford (2).jpg

Ford (3).jpg

Ford (4).jpg

2. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

Way to high. Friend of mine just baught a 06 with 100 k for 13k and the eot/ect temp delta is within spec and it has a clean Oasis reportM

3. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

If you could get it for 15k or 16k I think that would be fair. The plow alone is worth over 3k.

4. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

I just bought a 2002 F250 XLT ext cab with the 7.3 for 16k without a plow. Put a Boss poly 8 ft on it. Love it!!

5. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

The '03 should still have the 7.3L Diesel engine so you wouldn't need to worry about the 6.0 problems. Many will argue that the 7.3 is the best PowerStroke. 18k seems a little high, not coming from a dealer with the markup, but if its really that clean and everything works properly, not a bad deal, especially considering the mileage on a diesel.
    I got by '02 used in 2005 with 74K on it in mint condition for 23.8K from Carmax if that gives you a better idea on pricing.

6. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

The 2003 came with the 7.3 in the first part of the year than they switched over to the 6.0. Head gaskets were the biggest problems.

7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Yup, the early ones had the good ole 7.3L (and im lucky enough to have one) with the most hp and torque they had ever produced from the factory to compete with the duramax. Mid year they started putting in the 6.0s. Early 6.0s wernt horrable, but not as good as the later 6.0s IMO.

8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

that truck has the 6.0 from looking at the picture. 18 does seem high. Make sure the truck has the "X" code springs for plowing too. I would take it to a dealer and have them check it out and run an oasis report on it to see of there was any warranty work done on the engine. Repairs can get pricey quick with the 6.0. I'd prefer a 05-07 6.0 if I was going to get one.

9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

This could be the first time we agree.

What tugboat said. Could very easily be a 6.0.

Although, the comment about head gaskets isn't necessarily accurate. Injectors, turbos and EGRs are more of a problem than head gaskets.

10. phillie

phillie Member
    from indy

when I was doing my research it seemed that would be a decent price if it was a 7.3l. The 6.0 sells for less because it is a less desirable engine. 15-16k seems more accurate. Do they not have better injectors, and egrs for replacements?

11. mustangman02232

ive had no problem with either on my truck, it really depends on what the OP wants to use it for, if its just to push snow and pull a 28 trailer and a couple of small trips, a V10 will probably suit him just as well as a diesel.

12. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

there were a few recalls on the early 6.0 s jot the vin down call your dealer see if they have been done 18 k sounds a little steep in my head but im also a ford junkie so i pick em apart pretty good. another thing to check see if the tranny has been redone assuming its an auto of course they didnt run the torqueshifts till 04 so that rig most likely has the 4r100 in it whuch for some reason didnt like being powered by the 6.0 litre for some reason

13. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

id say put 14 k in one pocket another k in the other if all updates have been done i dunno those years really scare me hopefully it was built on a tuesday :)

14. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

i am spoiled i m running two 03 7.3 s :) :)

15. mustangman02232

:confused: pretty sure all 6.0s run the torqueshift, 7.3s run the E4ODs

16. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

yeah e40ds no the early ones did not have the ts tranny

17. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

buy the way 4r100 does run in those years :)

18. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

its like saying tomato tomatooo :)

19. tugboat609

tugboat609 Member

All in all get yourself a nice low mileage 7.3 and you will be totally happy in the end!!

20. phillie

phillie Member
    from indy

I've had my 03 for 1.5 yrs now and paid 14k for it. It is a v10 but only had 29k miles on it. I was looking for a diesel but couldn't pass up that deal.