1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 ford f250 4x4 question, need help please

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by UniqueTouch, Feb 24, 2014.

1. UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch Senior Member

hey guys i didnt understand how the locking manual hubs were supposed to be used along with the 4x4 switch in the cab. now when i put my truck in 4 wheel drive sometimes it wants to work and some times it wont engage, im hoping it is just the motor that turns the transfer case, does anyone know anything about this that can help me save some money?. when the four wheel drive turns on it works great. its just getting it to turn on. Thanks for your help guys i really really appreciate it.

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the lock position is on the automatic hubs so when they fail to work(and they will fail sooner or later) you can lock them and hope they work to get you unstuck.
    provided the shift motor did not burn out and leave the t-case in 2 wheel drive.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Best thing to do is to put a set of warner lock outs on it them auto hubs are junk Then you will manually have lock hubs in
    The good thing about going this route is you can use the Low side with out the front end pulling

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

The auto hubs on my 2006 F350 stopped working years ago. I just manually lock the hubs each winter and have no issues with the 4x4 engaging.

I had to replace the hubs three or four years ago. At that time at least, Warn didn't make hubs for my truck; had to buy Ford oems again

5. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

When you put the dash switch to 4x4 does the dash light come on indicating that the transfer case shift motor has put it in 4x4? As was stated before, get some warn hubs, plug the vacuum lines that go to the factory hubs.

6. UniqueTouch

UniqueTouch Senior Member

Some5imes the light goes on and itll be in four and then it comed out by itself and today after getti g gas I started it and it turned on the four by four and when ya start it you hear it under the truck and also the door ajar signal has been on and the cab lights have been taking a lobg time to go off, I was told its prob the vsm mod , I guess its similar to a gem mod

7. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

OK it sounds like you have another problem that's causing several things to goof up. The diesel stop forums have some good help. Even though you said it's a gas engine they have general help you might get some use from. Good luck.

8. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the interior lights will stay on for a few minutes. the door ajar light staying on is a dirty or bad switch. spray penetrating oil into the switch and then open-close the door around 10 times. this usually cleans the contacts in the switch.