1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Ford F-250 Tranny Issues

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by EaTmYtAiLpIpEs, Jun 23, 2009.

1. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I have a 2003 Ford F-250. It has a 5.4. I am experiencing transmission issues. It isn't slipping but it is shifting at high rpm's. from 1-2 it shifts at 3500 and same with 2-3. If you step on it, it will shift at 4k rpms. I am wondering if a programmer would reprogram it. If anyone has one and want to rent it out or let me borrow it I will pay the shipping to get it to me and get it back to you.

2. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

A couple of things, I don't think you can use the same programmer on two different trucks. And I don't think that will fix it anyway. I am no trans expert, but if your trans is behaving differently, it is more likely due to the hardware inside wearing. Also, have you properly checked the fluid level?

3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

Fluid level is all good. I am going to change it and clean the filter/screen in it. That might make a little bit of a difference. But I have heard of the shift points can be screwed up and reprogrammed by a dealer.

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Bad new

you need replace or rebuilt

My friend told me that exact thing you have with transmission in his 01 F250 so he replace with new transmission with transfer case. It happened in summer.

For now I am worry because at 1,500 to 1,800 it act like you need push on gas more to roll better. It different from our 01 F250 V10 it could be different stall speed.

5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

thanks mil I was expecting the worse. I am gonna buy a new tranny im not into rebuilt trannys.

6. Milwaukee

I been heard lot members like Brian for rebuilt transmission and they were happy.

More tougher transmission.

http://www.brianstruckshop.com/

If it was me I would want HEAVY DUTY transmission instead new stock transmission that would fail in futures.

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya I never thought about heavier duty. that would be nicer for plowing and heavy towing. And I do some heavy towing so. Now that you brought that up I am going to have to think about it.

8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Get it rebuilt either by Brian or someone else who will beef it up. A stock rebuild or New from Ford will be built to OEM and will have the same level of strength.

Before I did that though I would change the fluid etc and take it to a transmission service center and pay for the diagnosis. Lots of electronics in them now and it COULD be something simple. Worth $100 even if you have to end up replacing it.

9. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

If I find out the thing is shot I am gonna run it till it is dead. but my luck is it will blow up when i go to pull my boat out of the launch at the state boat launch :) thanks for the tips guys I am gonna go thru it before I do anything

10. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Thats what you get for thinking you can run a boat hauling business on the side :p

11. sefh

sefh Senior Member

On my 99 SD w/V10 a few weeks ago I was going into work and the dang thing caught on fire. My seal blew out and leaked all over the exhaust. Mine never slipped but was starting to shift at high ranges. I found that this is common in these trucks when the fluid breaks down. I'm having mine rebuild soon so hopefully that fixes it. The tranny guy told me more than likely it didn't hurt anything just blew the seal. He suggested a trans guage and replace the cooler after.

12. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

I'm gonna recommend the BTS trans as well. They'll turn a wimpy 4R100 into a beefy beast. But they sure don't come free.

13. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

alright i will keep it in mind. because I sure will need a trans by the end of fall before I plowing season. This thing is slipping every once in awhile and it is starting to whine

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

BTS for sure, nothing like one that I have had.

Which tranny is it? I'm assuming the Torqshift?

mil could be right, but there is a good chance he is talking a whole different tranny.

How many miles and has it ever been serviced?

15. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Tourqeshit tranny is worse than the old Dodge trannys. You Ford guys and your brand loyalty. They are just producing an inferior truck to Dodge now

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I blew my transmission last year. It's a Chevy but there's some debate on new vs. rebuild.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=74317&highlight=4L80e

If I had it to do over, and money was less of an object, I would probably gone Jasper or a fellow up in western Maine. He wanted $2,800 to build a "bulletproof" unit. He gave like a 30K warranty even for "working" trucks. But time and money were short. I'm happy with what I have, and also prefer to spend local.

If this is your daily driver I would start planning this sooner than later. Explore all your options and ask around. Depending on which way you go, you might only lose the truck for a day or two.

17. Milwaukee

Well they still tough for me. Would Dodge last long enough by go 45 in reverse and don't stop when change gear?

18. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

well hopefully by the end of next week it is going into the shop to have a tranny dropped in her. I have to order the tranny and bring it there with the truck and there gonna do it. I went with the upgraded heavy duty trans. It has a 6 lug billet torque converter. And better yet it comes with a 5 year transferrable warranty haha.

19. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

yea ok :waving: thanks for the brand biased input, your always good for intelligent helpful post's like this in the ford forum... im surprised the local ford dealers havent asked you to run the service desk because you are just so awesome with this stuff. . .

sorry to hear about the tranny emtp, how many miles you have on that rig now>?

20. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Im sure they could improve some things if they got a bunch of taxpayer money handed to them. I think the 5R110 is definitely an improvement over the E4OD and 4R100.

My E4OD has been acting up a bit, did a fluid/filter change this weekend and it seems to have improved a lot, still not perfect though. Would love a BTS, but dont have the funds.