1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 f350 ???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by porabjr, Mar 21, 2013.

1. porabjr

porabjr Member

Hey guys, I am considering buying an 03 f350 w/ 5.4 liter auto. Truck has new tranny w/ 25,000 and truck has 150,000 total. Guy claims good shape mechanically. But has typical Ford cancer. Rot around wheel wells and lots of dings and scratches. Has 8' Fisher MM2. Plow has some surface rust, but looks pretty good. Any thoughts or suggestions on when I go look at truck? Much thanks

2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

That truck will have the 2 valve 5.4 liter motor with the PI heads. Other than exhaust manifold studs rotting off, it's not a bad motor. And, it won't have the spark plug removal headaches that the '04 and newer 3 valve engines had or the early ('97 - '01) motor issues with spark plugs blowing out. It will be a bit marginal on power in heavy snow though - especially when compared to the 7.3 liter diesel that was available that year.

3. porabjr

porabjr Member

i like the 7.3 diesel motor and used to have one in a 96 F250 I owned. The added upfront cost, cost of repairs and cost of diesel pointed me to gas this time around. I have read that 5.4 is no powerhouse, but hopefully will be enough to get the job done. I know 99-01 had issue blowing spark plugs which is why i am trying to avoid those years. What heads are you referring to and will rotted exhaust manifold bolts be visible?

4. Too Stroked

I think you'll find it's the '97 - '01's that had spark plug blow out issues. In 1999, they came out with new Power Improved (PI) 2 valve heads.

As for the rotted studs, you'll hear the leaking exhaust manifold when that happens. And yes, you can see them - through the wheel wells.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  5. porabjr

porabjr Member

bought it last night, to pick it up within week!! Frame looked solid, surface rust in few small spots. New Jasper tranny still under warranty and exhaust manifold bolts looked ok and didn't sound like any leaks there. Truck ran good and plow looked strong. Hopefully when I get it home won't be any issues. Wish me luck.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Make sure to post some pics.

7. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Good luck with the truck.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

My 02 F250 SD 5.4L spit a plug out, fixed it with the Time sert kit. Also exh. manifolds, and a couple of coil packs here and there. Other than that not too bad. You do however want to check the ball joints in that truck. Good luck with the purchase.
    T.J.

9. porabjr

porabjr Member

Well, I picked up the truck. Drove it about 15 miles and all seems pretty good. I do need to check on ball joints b/c I hear some clunking from front end, but hard to tell with plow still on it. The previous owner was a landscaper. I noticed when I got it home the tailgate was full of mulch and rocks, got that cleared away. Unfortunately when I removed the plastic bed liner there was about 100 lbs of grass clippings and rotting mulch underneath. Must have been building up for awhile. As a result, 4"x 4" hole with more on the way. Bed is bubbling all over. Would it be worth it to try to have a plate welded in or just slide bedliner back in and let nature take it's course? Also, anybody have any experience w/ Jasper tranny? Will post pics this w/e if i have time.

10. Too Stroked

Ah yes, the joys of a bed liner. They profess to protect your bed, but they actually just hide the damage they cause. I've seen it many times.

As for what to do, you could slap the liner back in, but it will just hide the real problem. And what will probably happen is that you'll end up where one of our oldest trucks is right now with the bed barely hanging on. In fact the driver complained that it was moving around significantly when he hit piles in a recent storm and we had to do some emergency repairs just to keep it on the truck.

You could replace some sheet metal, but you'll find that the bigger issue is the structural members that are also probably rotted out. Believe it or not, sometimes the easiest thing is to replace the whole bed. There are plenty of them out there used. One guy up here is even selling brand new 2013 8' takeoff beds for $1995.00 with tailgates.

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Good old rot. The smart people at Ford are still putting foam in the rear fender pinch welds. Haven't these manf. learned yet. Oh ya planned obsolesence. This is one of the main reason I built a flat bed dump bed using thick angle and C-channel. Good luck what ever you decide.
    T.J.