1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 f350 trans fluid leak between trans and tcase

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Morrissey snow removal, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i have a small fluid leak between the trans and tcase i think the gasket is just bad been leaking for a whille both trans and tcase still full of fluid. if i am correct there should be some fluid between the too??? thanks for any help

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

no there shouldnt. there is a gasket between them and they dont "share" fluid so to speak.
    you might have a seal going bad in either t-case or trans.

3. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Keep an eye on your fluid levels , you have a seal on the way out . It could be worse , it could be the front transmission seal .

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Like the other's said, sounds like a seal going bad. The fluids are not the same.

5. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Sounds like a seal, change both seals when you have it apart it might save you a headache and some time in the long run.

6. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Absolutely , that's just common sence there ! I had a friend that had a clutch put in his Ford 1 ton . Without replacing the slave cyl. and throwout bearing , because he was too cheap to buy them . In less than a month , they were tearing it apart again to replace them . Parts , less than $200.00 , labor just under $2,000 . Could have paid the labor bill just once . Two morals to this story , don't step over dollars to pick up dimes , and some times it actually pays to fix something that ain't broke !

7. Morrissey snow removal

thanks for the help guys are the seals easy to change

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I've done worse I've done better one of the hardest parts is getting the t-case out.

9. Morrissey snow removal

i will get all new seals than attack it

10. Sounds like the input shaft seal is bad, had that happen on my 99, it would leak by the bellhousing area. I didnt do the work, had a friend do it for me, he used a tranny lift to help hold the tranny, then he replaced all the lines to the cooler and back as well since they were starting to go bad. But yeah saves you some big time money down the road.