1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 f350 old western setup help

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by aquinod, Jan 10, 2014.

1. aquinod

aquinod Junior Member

hey guys, i have a oldern western 8 ft plow, i think unimount but not sure. My dads truck is a 2003 f350 with the 6.0 in it. I went to a local mechanic who sells fisher and western plows and told me he wouldent touch it too much custom welding because the plow was off the older fords it wouldent work. The guy who gave me the plow told me i could custom weld onto a new western frame but im not really sure how it would work. Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks derek

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's a conventional mount setup it can be done. But at what cost. Might not be worth it IMO
  3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Illegal, not worth it. Find a plow and mount for the truck.
  4. tpendagast

tpendagast Member

not sure what makes it "illegal" since all plows are an after market fabrication,

but its CERTAINLY not worth it.

that plow belongs on an older truck, if you had a truck that plow was meant for and you were just going to plow out your own place? Id say go for it.

You will make a mess out of a nice 2003 f350 if you get the plow any closer to that truck than it already is.

do a search for an older plow (2003 is old at this point) that mates with that era truck.

do try to stick a 57 chevy grill on a 78 stingray.
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

No...no...no! Find the right plow or don't do it at all.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The NTSB and or DOT persuaded the plow MFGs to make all of their plows with removable head gear. (They may have used legislation/regulations to do so.)

The problem is the headgear and lift arm would easily intrude into the passenger area of a vehicle it if was to T-bone another vehicle in an accident.
    so they phased them out.
    IF you have the old style there is nothing illegal about using it.

But, as the others have said, it's time for a modern plow set up.
  7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

as stated, thats a conventional mount. it looks like it is for a 92-97 F250/F350.

in 1994 conventional mounts where no longer allowed due to the excessive damage the lift arm would cause in an accident with the plow blade removed - hence the advent of the unimounts, minute mounts, etc. where blade, pumps, lights, etc were all removed as one unit.

and i agree with others - way too much work. it can be done, but you would be much better off finding a setup designed for the truck.
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

And states like Massachusetts now REQUIRE BY LAW that all head gear be removed in the off season. I see you're in NY, but for those in Mass who want to cobble together a Meystern style plow because that's what you have...have fun removing and installing that thing twice a year.
  9. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

laws aside... putting that on an 03 would be a cobble nightmare... not worth doing IMO...

Uni-mounts can be had for cheap.... I would go that route.