1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 f350 5.4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mikelawtown, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I'm asking a ? for my boss, he has a 2003 f350 and when he has the radio on and lifts the plow the sound drops low on the radio, orig radio.
  2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Is it a diesel? Bet he has a bad battery.
  3. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

5.4 gas..........
  4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Sorry. I missed that in the title. I would still start with having the battery tested.
  5. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

I was having a similar problem with my 02 F-250 5.4L. Battery tested perfect, but after upgrading to an Odyssey battery last weekend, operating the plow now has a lesser impact on the radio, heater, and headlights. There is still a noticeable dip in those systems, but much less than with the OEM battery.
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

my truck did this too in the 0 degree temps we had. once the truck warms up, the issue went away.
  7. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

could it be a weak alternator?
  8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I have a 02 5.4l and the radio will turn all the way down or up when I hit a bump, hit the brakes too hard or for no reason at all.
  9. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Those factory radios are junk... Ive replaced the head units in my '01 F-150, '04 F-250, and '03 F-450 because the volume knobs wouldnt work. The F-450 would turn all the way up when you hit a bump and the knob wouldn't turn it back down. I had the pull the fuse on it until I got the new head unit in.
  10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i am going to say the alternator is too small for the load a plow put on the system. he should upgrade to a larger alternator.
    i have custom built alternators in all my trucks. they put out between 200 and 245 amps. .
  11. tanker6

tanker6 Member
    from CT

resistance in the system? Too much draw on the plow will cause issues in other parts of the truck. Happened to mine since my plow stays outside all year.
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Battery may be good,but I bet its a bad cell. Just bump it up to the biggest one that will fit.That's what I did and it fixed it.
  13. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I just had a similar problem with our super duty just last week. After plowing for a bit, the radio would just cut out when trying to lift or turn the plow. But when I would drive in between jobs, it would work fine again for a while. NO Battery light on and no diming headlights, just the radio. Well, I had a chance to test the charging system and turns out that the altornator was charging, but not producing enough amps to recharge the system in a timely manor. I put a new OE replacement from napa on, and the problem is gone. Plow all day and night, and the thing never misses a beat.
    As far as getting a larger altornator, I don't personally buy them. I have never had any problems with OE replacements. I suspose if you are running front and rear plows and so many halogen lights that you can be seen from space, maybe. IMO, todays vehicles use far less energy to operate its lights and electrical systems, that a OE altornator if more than enough.