1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 F250 warping rotors

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by gforman, Oct 28, 2011.

1. gforman

gforman Junior Member
    from NY

i have a 2003 F250 that i bought new. the truck only has 26,000 miles on it and this will be the second time i have to replace the rotors do to them warping. anyone have any ideas why they warp like this?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I replace my every other year. Don't matter if they are dealers or aftermarket.
  3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Do you hand torque the lug nuts every time the wheels come off, including after it is serviced somewhere? That seems to help.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How often do you wash the truck?
  5. gforman

gforman Junior Member
    from NY

i don't wash it, thats what i have a wife and daughter for
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If they are washing it right after driving it,that's part of your problem. Hot rotors and cold water on one side equals warpage.

Do you drive it like a woman? Hard stops?
  7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

2X on torquing the lugs nuts, with the disc and hub being 2 peices it's a must. I use have a '00 (6spd stick) and replaced the front pads at 154K. When I sold it with 198K it still had the original rotors. Keep in mind I was the only driver, running a stick and don't do much city type driving. I know people with autos that drive in a lot of stop & go traffic and they burn up pads in 40K.
  8. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Torque your wheels and look into PowerSlot Slotted Rotors and Hawk Super Duty pads, I think it will fix your problem nicely. Problem is, 99-04s came with undersized brakes from the factory and they tend to wear and heat up faster.
  9. OH350Crew

OH350Crew Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I also pull, clean and lube the caliper in the fall and again in the spring. seems to help.

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

not uncommon.

Cheap steel. Rotors today are cheaper then good quality pads.No one turns them any more just junk them and get new ones.$65 bucks a rotor,severduty pads are 70- 75 bucks set.2 rotors cost you 130 if you try to cut them/ turn them they,ll warp.
  11. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

ive had good luck with duracrap rotors believe it or not. way better than oem. on my 4th year still smooth with them.