1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 F-350 dump 7.3L 8' fisher plow

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jstevens66, Mar 9, 2014.

1. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

Hey guys, just a quick question about a dump truck. I might be buying a 2003 F-350 dump truck with a 7.3L power stroke and an 8' fisher plow on it. The truck has about 40,000-50,000 miles on it, but I think the dump is completely rotted out on it. My question is, what do you guys think I should offer for the truck and does anyone know where I can get a replacement dump body put on in MA/NH are for cheap? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Post some pictures so we can see the condition of the exterior/interior.

3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

If the bed is rotted make sure u check the frame and all lines
    7.3 are great but the rest of the ford falls apart

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Pictures will help. How are the cab corners,door bottoms, fenders? Check the oil pan and rear main seal for leaks.check around the fuel bowl for leaks. Check the the engine valley to see if its full of oil or wet. Check the trans pan for rot. Report back and then we can give u a better idea on what its worth. Right now from what you have told us 5,000 to 7,000 would be my guess

5. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

Ok, I will check it all out, I don't have pictures of it but lets just assume that everything else if in great working condition and not rotted. What do u think a good selling/buying price would be?

6. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

Yea, I was guessing around that price. The guy is a good friend of my fathers and he said the dump body would definitely have to be replaced, but everything else is in pretty good condition. I will be meeting him probably the end of the week, I'll give an update on what I find.

7. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I would imagine if the dump is completely rotted they probably didn't take the best care of the truck, I can't see them washing everything except the dump body. if the mileage is correct that is very low for an 11 or 12 year old truck, only 4-5k per year. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes sitting is worse. If the truck is in good shape except for the dump and has been maintained, they will probably be looking for 8-10 at least. don't rush it, if you are unsure or unfamiliar with this style truck and engine or have questions take pics and post them up, youll get honest answers and could save yourself a head ache.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you do know what defects your looking for. I would pay a competent shop to look at it. Even if you can do it your self, parts and supplies still cost a lot.
    I can do all the brake lines for $150 in line and hoses. A shop may ding you $950. Many " Deals" can quickly turn into "money pits".
    I would hazard to guess the dump carried a salt spreader in the winter. The random salt tossed about and falling out of the bad. May have rusted the back frame badly! Look at it closely. Look at the spring hangers. They can rust out under the paint or under coating. Another fun repair! If all else pay to have it put on a lift. Take a flash light and look it over GOOD!

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

also if it has not had one put on already, plan on putting an oil pan on it within the next year or so.

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Dudeee it's a 7.3 who cares what the rest of the truck looks like. He'll never get it for that. I'm sure it'll bring 15k to some idiot

Lmao

11. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Im a 7.3 guy myself but a rotted truck is a rotted truck. Hey if he can get 15 for it then more power to him. Some guys do pay top dollar for the 7.3. From what he said id say no more then 9,000 tops unless the truck is made outta solid gold

12. MickiRig1

A member here bought pretty much the same 7.3 truck. After he got a good look at it after buying it. He had to part it out. The frame was lace in places. Real close to breaking. After buying my last truck I made a rule to myself to put it on a lift and look close. I looked cherry, but the underside was a mass of rusted everything.

13. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

...Here we go again...

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

It was a joke

15. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

The guy called me today, I couldn't meet up with him last week, but I will try to meet up with him sometime this upcoming week. The only reason he is selling it is because he hurt himself really bad and is retiring from both his jobs, (city worker and his own landscaping business), he broke his sternum after just breaking his foot, he's an older guy. So he's not selling it because he wants to, its cause he has too. He's also giving me his landscape accounts regardless if I buy the truck off him or not. He says the truck is in great shape, has not had any major problems with it, its just the dump body is rotted, he says the rest of the truck isn't rotted. He's a good guy too, he would try to rip me off or anything.

16. MickiRig1

We are not kicking sand on your deal. Just trying to caution you on looking at the big picture. The 7.3 is a great engine! You can get 400,000 out of it, when taken care of. Just be advised it takes gallons of oil and some what expensive filters. To change the oil. Fuel filters are not cheap. If you wrench, it just takes parts and supplies. Age kills stuff too. Miles may be low, but hoses and seals age and fail. Been there, worked on it! It can be rented out too. Roofers would pay you to park on site. They fill it with old roofing. You take when full and dump. Another way to make money with it.

17. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

18. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Any outcome with this

19. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Oil pan may be shot its a very expensive repair, make sure you crawl under the truck and knock on oil pan feel for how thin is the metal.

20. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Fuel filter is about $30, oil filters aren't bad from advance auto with coupon (motorcraft) and Walmart has rotella oil for $12 per gallon. I'll take that over emissions junk anyday