1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 F-250 Superduty

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Aug 31, 2005.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Would it be wise to plow with the above truck with the front gvwr of 4400? Would timbrens be enough to put a blizzard 810 on? The vehicle has the off road package if that helps?

Thanks, John

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I think 1/2 the people on this site plow with a F-250 :D

3. snow white

snow white Member

810 on f-250

i have a 810 on my f250 i put an extra leaf front and back in my truck , no problem carrying plow now

4. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

i just purchsed one for my 04 250 sd... dealer said it was perfect for it without timbrens. bring on the snow :redbounce

5. clncut

JeffW, Snow white,

Do you guys have the 4400 front gvwr? What about the plow package?

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would put Timbrens on it just to CYA.
    Make sure you have enough charging power, 100 amp +.
    And Trans cooling. That's some of the weak points of the truck.

7. clncut

Thanks for all the info, I will probably put on the timbrens and the truck already has a trans cooler. The dealer stated he has a couple of 810s that are a year old that he will be willing cut a deal on. I will be looking at them sunday as we will be taking the 760lt off of my other truck.

Something struck me odd though.... the dealer stated I could not put the 760lt on the f250 because plowing with that plow on that type of vehicle would beat up the plow. Seems odd to me and I think he may be trying to pull one over on me. I think I would like a bigger plow anyhow on this truck so its not really that big of a deal, just thought it was kinda funny.

8. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Would the truck beat up your smaller plow? I doubht it. It's made just like there larger plows, just smaller. Would putting the small plow on your bigger truck, look funny, leave you running over the snow as the plow isn't wide enough and would it be wasting your time with a smaller plow? Yes. Would it beat up the plow? I doubht it.

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

your front axle is rated for 5200 lbs, your springs for 4400. you could put a set of code X_springs on or a set of timbrens. the x springs are rated for 6000 lbs.
    you tuck will be able to handle the plow fine, but it is a big heavy plow and you need to drive accordingly.

10. clncut

Thanks again for all the info, I will not be putting the smaller plow on the new truck, I was just curious as what responses I would get from his comments.

I meet with the dealer tomorrow and getting some prices on his used 1 yr old 810s for sale. Ill be back with some prices to see what you guys think.

John

11. clncut

OK, Met with the dealer today and I left frustrated :angry: . Dealer looked at the truck and stated the 810 was to heavy to put on the truck. I figured that may be the case and I think the 810 may be an overkill for the jobs I have.

As I mentioned above, my vehicle does not have the snowplow prep and 4400 FGVWR. Now Im concerned as to how much weight the front end will be able to handle. Im currently thinking of putting on the 800 but the concern of blowing out a front end sits in the back of my mind. The weight of the 800 was I think 750lbs. Getting another vehicle is not an option right now so Im stuck with what I have.

Anyone have any suggestions, and by the way the 1 yr used 810s were going for 2400 with a 1 year warrenty. Im going to look at some other plows and see what I can do.

John

12. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

Why not just upgrade the front springs, they are pretty cheap and not to hard to change.

13. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Find a dealer who will do what you want. Your truck is plenty for those plows, that's what the super dutys are made for.

14. clncut

Do you guys think the 810 would be to much weight. Maybe Im just being overly paranoid. I cant tell you how appriciative I am for all of this info. Do you think adding timbrens would be plenty for a 810?

15. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I think just looking at others peoples rig should be proof enough that an 810 will be fine on your truck, many who have the same type of truck have these plows. Plus you have the Solid axle in the front which will carry the weight fine. I'd get some timbrens and get your 810.

16. clncut

Mowerpan,

Not so sure about the solid axle, The dealer told me he believes the axle is not solid but 2 smaller axles. Is there anyway to tell? I know this is all rookie questions but thats just what I am, a rookie here.

I just spent the whole friggin day at the fire dept reading many posts on this site and learned alot, such as auto/manual locking hubs, x-springs and other items that I did not know or was unclear about. Someone stated they had the snow prep package because of the steering damper installed. My truck also has this steering damper but now snow prep. Im going to call the dealer Tues. and see how much it will be to install the package.

17. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

do you have a X in your vin #?

18. clncut

Yes, the fifth letter is a X.

19. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

It is a solid axle. Yes axles actually have two pieces, they have too otherwise you would have a very hard time turning. The "solid axle" comes from the fact if you look at it from the front theres one big steel round thing:p going all the way accross , unlike on chevy's where you'll see the independent front suspension. Solid axles are much better and are tried and true and take to weight much better.

20. clncut

Mower pan, Is this the solid axle your talking about at the bottom of the pic?

100_0831 (Small).JPG