1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 F-250 Hubs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by FatherandSon, Jan 8, 2004.

1. FatherandSon

FatherandSon Junior Member

Have a 2003 Ford F-250 SD with on the fly 4 wheel drive. The front hubs have 2 settings. Automatic and Lock. Read the owner manual and it says nothing about what they should be set to.

Can anyone tell me what they are for and what they should be set on.

Also, my OD light is not working at all. Anyone experience this before. Might need a trip to dealer as it is under warranty but that is such a hassle. Good for at least a day there.

Your help would be appreciated.
  2. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

I would run them in the lock when plowing because everytime you back up in the auto they come undone. When locked they stay locked thats just my opinion. For the od light does it still work where it my just be a short in the light or does it not work at all. If so i would call the dealer and see what they say.
  3. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Mine has the manual hubs, but here's what I've gathered about your setup. Locked is for if the automatic lock in feature fails, you can manually engage your hubs.
  4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

psdiesel24 is correct

The auto feature is kind of like part time 4 wheel drive. When you shift from forward to reverse, the hubs temporarily disconnect. These hubs are far stronger than the auto hubs Ford earlier produced. But, when plowing, set them to the lock position. Less chance of failure this way.
  5. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I currently own an 2002 F250SD with the same 4x4 system. I do not use this truck for plowing but I do use it on the rice farm which requires a lot of 4x4 use. If I understand Ford correctly, when you engage the 4x4 the front wheels must turn a 1/4 revolution in the direction of travel that the transmission is in before the front wheels start pulling when hubs are in the automatic position:eek: If you do not engage the 4x4 before you get stuck and the hubs are in the auto position you must make shure that the back tires are completely stopped before you engage or you will get a lot of popping and grinding noise from the front end which over time will result in replacement of the front hubs payup If your hubs are in the auto position and you change direction of travel then your front wheels must turn 1/2 revolution before you have 4x4 in the new direction of travel :eek: This can really become interesting if you get stuck and try to rock the vehicle forward & reverse or if you are going backwards & forwards across parking lots plowing. All of this can be simplified by placing the hubs in the locked position before you start plowing or 4-wheeling.:waving: About the OD Light, is that the overdrive light? If it is then when you push the button does the motor change rpms? If it does then maybe it is just the light, if it doesn't then maybe it is a fuse> Hope all this helps.
  6. GPB

GPB Member

If your going to be using the 4x4 alot, manually lock them in. Its easier on the hubs.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  7. FatherandSon

FatherandSon Junior Member

Thanks for your help

Appreciate all the responses. Now I think I understand the set up for the hubs. It appears the OD is not working at all. Will be bringing to dealer on Monday for sure. A warranty issue.

Thanks to all, and have a safe profitable winter.......