1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 F-150 Super Cab 4x4...any good for plowing?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by NJ Plowman, Feb 27, 2009.

1. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I am a Chevy guy myself, but was just wondering if any of you Ford guys can help me out here. All of my trucks are either 3/4-ton or 1-ton trucks, but I have the opportunity to buy a 2003 F-150 Supercab (not a 4 door, but the one with the 1/2 doors in back with the little extra cab) with only 23,000 miles on it. The truck is a Lariat, fully loaded, 4x4, tow package, 17" rims, and a posi rear.

Will this truck take a regular Western Unimount plow ? Their web site says only a plastic "Suburbanite" plow? Will it stand up to commercial plowing? The truck is a gorgeous everyday truck, but will do a little commercial plowing too!

What do you guys think?

2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I've had a bunch of half ton Fords with Unimount Pro 7.5s and they've held up fine.

3. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Snow-way???

Sno-Way is an excellent option for any F150 or half-ton vehicle. You can get down pressure so that it will scrape like a heavy plow but weighs less than 550 pounds.

I have a 7.6" Snow-way with DP on an f150 and the front end drops less than 1" without ballast. I plan to put the 2.5" Leveling kit on the front of my truck this summer and i'll have 500 lbs of salt/sand in the bed at all times.

For driveways with back-dragging there is almost no substitute for down-pressure on a plow.

just my $0.02

4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

One word from me: HELLYEAH.

I see guys all around here with 150's with 8 footers on them plowing all kinds of nice lots.

Mine does real good as well, and I wished it had a larger plow on it.

I use timbrens, #700 of ballast weight up against the tailgate, and snow tires, and this thing pushes nice...even with a meyer...lol

Don't even hesitate to put a plow on that truck...but only put a GOOD/NICE driver behind the wheel of it.

5. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

It's everyone's personal opinion on using half ton trucks for plowing. It is mine that it's okay if you're doing your driveway and nothing else but I don't think it will hold up to the constant abuse of plowing commercially on really bad lots. Smooth brand new lots it would be good for too. I think they are too light duty.

6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I have several 3/4-ton and 1-ton GMC's that do nothing but plow, so I really don't need another heavy pick up. I am going to use this as my everyday personal vehicle and when it snows I will use it as my "Supervisors" plow truck. It will handle the touch up's and small stuff after a storm, so it won't get beat to death doing parking lots. I agree on the 1/2-ton not being an ideal plow truck, I personally believe that the heavier truck the better, but I don'y want to drive around all summer in a truck that gets 8 mpg. This has the 4.6L V8 with Automatic trans with O/D, and a 3.55 posi rear (not the 3.73) so I figure I should average about 14-16mpg. It should get fairly acceptable mileage for a truck, and it is a Lariat with every option such as power rear window, leather, etc so it should be more comfortable then my ex-municipal plow trucks!

I have never actually owned a 1/2-ton before, so I just wanted to get your opinions on if it will handle a real plow. I want to put a Western 7.5 Pro Series plow on it (all my plows are western Pro series), I don't want to put a home owner series plow on it because eventually it will end up doing some hard work after I have put a few years on it. I have been a Western man my whole life and probably wouldn't use any other brand...sorry to all you meyers and sno-way guys...lol

But I do value all your opinions, thnks for the input and keep the input coming!