1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Duramax starting problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RandyS, Jan 26, 2006.

1. RandyS

RandyS Junior Member

There was a recall on the fuel filter. The local Chevy dealer replaced it. Wouldn't start the next day. They came and got it and put in another new one. Some days it starts and some days it doesn't. When it doesn't start I prime the fuel filter and it starts fine. When I talked to the local dealer again the other day he thought that it was just a coincidence that it won't start right after they worked on it.
    Aside from the dealer part, what could the problem be? Thank you.

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

theres a one in a TRILLION chance its not the dealers fault. the problem only happened the day after they "fixed" it. take it back make them give you a truck of equal or greater value to drive around in and tell them dont call me until this truck is fixed

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Could be they screwed up and you keep losing prime......or you could have injectors going south(or a number of other fule problems). Especially if its not in warantte tell em to fix your darn truck.

Have em diagnosis if its a bleed down problem or if your injector balance rates or return rates. Thats were I would start first.

4. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

air in the lines? from a previous fuel filter change would be my guess but you could also be having issuses with injection pump pressure or regulators, have the dealer diagnose it, no other easy way to tell and downtime is money. good luck

5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Besides what Ratlover said....

Check for simple things first... I'm thinking that they may have cracked the water sensor on the bottom of the filter and it sucks in air? Unfortunately you need to pull off the wire connector and unscrew the filter to check this.

Check to see if there is any leaking from it. First get under it and all around it with a degreaser. Because have been priming it all the time I'm sure there is fuel all under it so you would have to start clean.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

6. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Ditto Ratlover and Yaz . Put a paper towel under the filter for a while , easy way to check for leak . Could also be the o-ring on the filter , very easy to screw up.