1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Q/C Overheating at highway speed 55mph

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by brian2transam, Sep 26, 2008.

1. brian2transam

brian2transam Junior Member

Hey guys,

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 sport Quad Cab Hemi Automatic, heavy duty service group, towing etc. I installed a westrn 7'6" pro plow on the front with a western tailgate spreader on rear. I also had timbren installed to make sure the front would handle the weight. The truck runs great when plowing but as soon as I get on highway at around 55mph the temp guage redlines and I have to pull over to let it cool down. I ride with plow as low to ground as possible and also installed a aftermarket fan, and it still seems to get very hot when I get on the parkway. I noticed that they removed the airdamn the peice of plastic that goes from the radiator support to the front bumber so I went and bought a new one and installed it. I had to do some cutting to get around the plow frame but its in there. Any other ideas as to why this thing overheats the way it does? Dodge does not offer a snowplow prep package on the 1500 but is there a difference between the clucth fan between mine and the snow plow prep for the 2500. I also saw the blizzard makes a airfoil that is supposed to direct air into the radiator. any body know if they work before I spend the money. Thanks