1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Dodge Plow Selection

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TeeJay426, Nov 18, 2003.

1. TeeJay426

TeeJay426 Junior Member
    from NH

I'm looking for any help/advice relating to plow selection for my new 2003 Ram 2500. I've narrowed it down to 3 possibles, mainly because of the dealer selection in the area. The selections so far are the Fisher Minute Mount 2, Curtis Hitch & Run, and the Diamond MD-2, all 8'. Any one familiar enough with the above plows in use on the Dodges to let me know the pros and cons of each? I appreciate any info anyone can offer. Thanks
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i myself im buying a 2500 dodge i saw the video on a curtis hitch and run i thought it was a very good plow i also thing meyers/diamond are good and fisher is good not to forgiving on the truck when you hit something i think im gonna try the curtis you should email them see the video that plow is constructed ten better then what i have seen in todays marketplace :)

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i think the fisher would be your best choice
    see like most guys up north run them
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

ok hard at the blizzard 810, if you plow commercially, it seems the way to go
  5. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I bought a 2003 HO Diesel 2500 Reg. cab and I put a 8' X-Blade on it.
  6. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

If you look at all the plow manufacturer spec sheets the 2003 Dodge Diesel will not handle anything larger than a light 7 1/2 foot plow. I'm sure that you can modify the front suspension to handle the weight.
    I bought a 2003 2500 Quad Cab with the hemi instead. Just mounted a Western 8' pro and I went to the Snow & Ice show and decided to get a Daniels Pull plow for the back.

I've seen posts from guys who are running the Cummins with big plows get some advice from them before you commit
  7. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I knew that Fisher recommended the 7.5' RH for it, but I think that is to small of a plow for that truck. I wanted a 8' plow and figured the extra 157 LBs. won't we to bad for it, in getting the 8' X-Blade instead. Also, I think it is a better plow than the 7.5' RH.
  8. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

You're right about the quality difference. I think that the manufacturers take a very conservative position on weight issues (Can anyone say LITIGATION, LAWYERS & LIABILITY). If you look at the literature produced today compared to just 8-9 years ago you can see the difference.

Use your best judgement and let the experiences of others in these forums help guide you
  9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

the 8ft is the best size for a dodge diesil srw. for a dodge drw a 9ft is the best size. Fisher is very popular and curtis are becoming more and more popular as well. you should also take a look at the new western pro plow plus for your new dodge.:)
  10. TeeJay426

TeeJay426 Junior Member
    from NH

Just for the record- rob1325 has the Diesel Ram; mine is the Hemi. There isn't a Western dealer that I can find in NH; I did locate a Blizzard dealer, and will check them out as well. Thanks for the inputs, and if anyone else has any experience or opinions to add, please do!
  11. Big Time Plow

Big Time Plow Junior Member

same here

just bought a 2004 ram 2500 hemi and i'm putting on a boss 8'6 v plow with a trynex 1075 spreader and a rhino bed
  12. smwmarc

smwmarc Junior Member
    from Maine

Not sure I can tell you which one to get since most everything I have seen before finding this site was either Fisher or Diamond. I didn't think there were any others. lol Except for a few small Meyers and (plexiglass plows Snowway?) mostly on Jeeps.

Well I have a 10 year old 7'6" Diamond and love it, nice strong plow. A little heavy for the F150 with straight 6, but then again they have been married and working together since they were both bought new 10 years ago and it is still working. Could use some suspension work now and probably should have had Timbrens on it, but didn't know about them until I read about them here. Not the kind of setup you would want to make a full time business with, but goes to show how much these trucks can really handle.

I am not sure too much anymore what the new Diamonds are like since the design has been changed and influenced a whole lot more by Meyer.

Anyway, where I work, we have just bought a new 2003 Dodge 2500 with the HEMI and had a 8' Fisher MM2 installed on it. Not a problem for the truck at all. It should plow very nicely. My boss didn't want to consider the Diamond this time because he thought it was too heavy. My F150 used to be the work truck.

Other than that advice I have not been able to really checkout any other brands except for online here and some of them look fairly decent. I would like to see a Blizzard and a Boss up close.

BIGREDDODGE Junior Member

Don't worry about hanging a big plow off the front of it. I have a 2003 2500 HO Diesel, and I have a 950# boss Vee plow, and the truck handles it fine, just make sure you put some counterweight in the box. Also make sure your truck has the plow package, if not you can install heavier springs.