1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Dodge Durango SLT with a Western 6.5 Standard

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bazjeepers, Feb 9, 2015.

1. bazjeepers

bazjeepers Member

Well ... finally got the snow plow installed by Van Dine's up in Hackensack. I was hoping he would have put on a Midweight or the HTS but he put the truck side Ultramount 2 and the blade is a Unimount Western Standard 6.5 which they don't seem to make anymore. The weight is very close to 560 lbs with the 11 gauge blade.

I have attached a few pictures.

IMG_20150209_094543.jpg

IMG_20150209_094529.jpg

2. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Put some weight in the back. thats a good driveway rig.

3. bazjeepers

bazjeepers Member

Haven't used it yet but wished Van Dine's had given me the Midweight like he said but I guess we'll see. I definitely did not get a cheaper install price with the older model of Western .. that's for sure.

Also doesn't give me too much ground clearance in the front for a steep driveway but I guess the weight in the back should level out the front.

IMG_20150207_121950.jpg

IMG_20150207_121956.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The blade you have is an Ultramount and going by the head gear not to old either. I'm not sure when western started using the newer style head light mount but I don't think it was all that long ago.

The unimount plows are quite a bit different and much older then yours.

5. bazjeepers

bazjeepers Member

The plow had the Unimount warning stickers but everything looks brand new or repainted. The scraping blade had a light dusting of red near the sides and it did not have the model number sticker or the serial number sticker like most of the newer Western plows I have seen on dealer lots with Western plows already installed.

6. asphaltwarrior1

asphaltwarrior1 Member

It looks new, or a really good refurb. I would be pissed if it was a refurb bro. Chances are it's just old stock though. Drop the plow, jack up the front end so both tires are off the ground and tighten in the torsion bar bolts 8 full turns and then add some HD shocks on the front you'll be more then pleased. The Westerns have those removeable ( for lack of proper term) cups that clip onto the plow frame and they lessen ground clearance anyway some. That does appear to be a Unimount plow( IMO ), but all the truck side stuff appears to be Ultramount.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  7. asphaltwarrior1

asphaltwarrior1 Member

Pic of the plow dismounted and standing behind the plow frame, and a pic of the front of the D without the plow attached. Well I am editing to ask if it has the pivotbar in the back of the plows A-Frame? If it does then it's a Ultramount blade, if it doesn't it's a Unimount blade. From everything I can find anyway.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Very odd- I doubt they would have made up a "frankenplow" when they could have just put a HTS on it…. what did you pay for? That's what it should be…

Definitely put some ballast in the back of that SUV- it's nose-diving with the plow on the ground

9. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Without a doubt, it's a Ultra mount. Moldboard may be older and used on a Uni. That's why it has those stickers.

10. bazjeepers

bazjeepers Member

Got to plow with it, it did pretty well with the snow from this past Sunday. I did lose the Durango for a week while the dealer covered a warranty repair for a bad top radiator hose and radiator cap that dried out.

So far so good.

11. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

[that plow is an ultra mount 2 western because it has the newly designed light tower. You have the newest western light tower, and pump, and probably fleet flex wiring. The moldboard itself looks to be new but may just be left over from a unimoumt production run or something. I wouldn't imagine they sell a ton of 6.5' plows.

QUOTE=bazjeepers;1952879]Well ... finally got the snow plow installed by Van Dine's up in Hackensack. I was hoping he would have put on a Midweight or the HTS but he put the truck side Ultramount 2 and the blade is a Unimount Western Standard 6.5 which they don't seem to make anymore. The weight is very close to 560 lbs with the 11 gauge blade.

I have attached a few pictures.[/QUOTE]

12. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

that is definitely an older ULTRAMOUNT blade with new light gear and truck side.

I would be beyond pissed.

That is NOT a new HTS.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  13. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Call Western! If they hacked a plow up and then sold it to you as a HTS or whatever is BS.

14. asphaltwarrior1

asphaltwarrior1 Member

I agree with the others Baz. I would atleast get some sort of dialog going with VanDines about what you have going on there. I understand your ok with it's capability for you, but you still should have gotten what you paid for.

15. bazjeepers

bazjeepers Member

I guess I forgot to answer this. Van Dines gave me the Western Standard 6.5" and offered me 2 years of maintenance and helped me out when I had a issue with my Durango recently where they came out and picked up my plow and stored it at their place till the dealer fixed the issue.

It was a bad upper radiator hose and radiator cap which the used car dealer was supposed to have fixed but never did. But that is another story for another day.

Overall, from a use standpoint for the plow, I got a chance to really use the snow plow and got used to how to operate it and I must admit, the 6.5" is not a bad size given my experience and area where I have to worry about maneuvering. I do know that like most plowing situations, with the Durango, tight spots make it harder to work with in a awkward driveway setup since I helped a family member clear off some of the excess snow.

I think once I get more knowledgeable with installs and setups, I might see what other pricing options is out there but for now, I will keep things as is for now.

16. asphaltwarrior1

asphaltwarrior1 Member

You did mention that to me in a pm I think. lol It's a learning curve for me too right now, and doing ok lol