1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2003 Dodge 2500....weird electronic problemo

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by EGLC, Nov 7, 2011.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2003 Dodge hemi 2500.

after a few hours plowing the battery gauge will drop to 0 and the "check gauages" light comes on. truck will run 100% still and not loose power, plow works, led lightbar works, lights dont dim etc, etc.

after a few minutes it kicks back up and the "check gauges" light goes off

any thoughts on this???
  2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

My 04 did the same thing. I swapped in a new altenator and it still did it, put a larger battery and it still would do it occasionally. Basically the computer controls the output from the altenator and I think doesn't react quick enough to plow functions at times. That's my opinion only and could be completely wrong.
  3. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

your guage cluster might be bad. dodge is famous for bad instrument clusters.
  4. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Mine does it as well.......I switched to a Diehard Platnium battery this year and will see how it does.

I am sure the cluster is fine..........
  6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I've never really heard of bad clusters but who knows.
  7. PeterD

PeterD Junior Member

My 04 does exactly the same thing too... Being an electrical engineer, I think your diagnosis is probably the right one, and when it happens to me I just ignore it, knowing that in a second or two things will be back to normal. One thing I've found helps is if possible a bit if light reving of the engine does seem to keep it to a minimum.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Perhaps the computer is pre programed this way to present a more serious problem to the driver. This way if the alt is on the way out then he or she will be more prone to bring it to the dealer to be fixed. To the average driver a guage of 12volts would be normal not knowing the truck needs 14volts to be charging correctly.

I would run a second battery to help ease the sudden draw from the plow ..... Nothing to be worried about..
  9. PeterD

PeterD Junior Member

I'm going to try an 'external' volt meter and see what it shows when my truck does it again. I will say that after this year's "rebuild" of my plow, it appears to be drawing less current than it did. I guess a lot of grease on the various pivot points helps greatly?
  10. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

my 03 does the same and i just ignore it.
  11. kthunter33

kthunter33 Junior Member

My 05 sometimes goes down to zero when plowing, but kicks back up... It is generated through the computer. New alt or new battery will not change this...
  12. ultimate snow

ultimate snow Junior Member

03 use to do it . i installed a audio capacitors for my audio and it stoped .. it does this because of a voltage drop and then spike when you lift the plow ..